Old 28-01-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

Default pruning copper beach

hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden the neighbour whose
garden this borders has asked me to prune it.
Is this a tree that can be pruned back quite hard and survive.
Old 28-01-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
MikeW wrote:
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden the neighbour whose
garden this borders has asked me to prune it.
Is this a tree that can be pruned back quite hard and survive.

Yes. If it is young, that is easy to do. If it is older, it should
be done by someone skilled. It can be grown as a hedge or topiary
plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2006, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

Nick Maclaren, : wrote:
In article ,
MikeW wrote:
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden the neighbour whose
garden this borders has asked me to prune it.
Is this a tree that can be pruned back quite hard and survive.

Yes. If it is young, that is easy to do. If it is older, it should
be done by someone skilled. It can be grown as a hedge or topiary
plant.

thanks but its not young, its now about 45ft tall, and have been asked to
reduce its height by about 60%
I was concerned about its survival chances.

Old 29-01-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
MikeW wrote:
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden the neighbour whose
garden this borders has asked me to prune it.
Is this a tree that can be pruned back quite hard and survive.

Yes. If it is young, that is easy to do. If it is older, it should
be done by someone skilled. It can be grown as a hedge or topiary
plant.

thanks but its not young, its now about 45ft tall, and have been asked to
reduce its height by about 60%
I was concerned about its survival chances.

What sort of diameter? That is a better indication of age than height,
but 45' won't be very young.

At that size, I would get a tree surgeon in - and make it clear that
you are paying for advice, and he will NOT be employed if you have
something done.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Tell your neighbour that 60% is utterly unreasonable.
It would leave you with a 15ft stump that likely would affect its survival. It would also take a fair few years for the tree to recover shape, if at all.
Tell them you are willing to have the tree reduced by up to 15% and thinned. If they dont like it tell them its there tough luck.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 29-01-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--
X-No-Archive
"MikeW" wrote in message
. com...
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden

ITYM beech ;-)

Old 29-01-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

Default pruning copper beech

PammyT, : wrote:
"MikeW"
. com...
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden

ITYM beech ;-)

Indeed !
But I am on sandy soil
Old 29-01-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--
X-No-Archive
"MikeW" wrote in message
.com...
PammyT, : wrote:
"MikeW"
. com...
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden

ITYM beech ;-)

Indeed !
But I am on sandy soil

Oh I sea. :-)

Old 29-01-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from penance contains these words:

MikeW wrote:
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden the neighbour
whose
garden this borders has asked me to prune it. its now about 45ft
tall, and have been asked
reduce its height by about 60%
I was concerned about its survival chances.

Tell your neighbour that 60% is utterly unreasonable.
It would leave you with a 15ft stump that likely would affect its
survival.

You haven't seen the tree or the neighbour's property.

If the tree is overhanging the boundary, the neighbour is legally
entitled to have every overhanging part cut back to the boundary line.
Even if the overhanging section is the main leader of the trunk.

If the proximity of your fast-growing tree is endangering his
property (roof, foundations ), he is also entitled to request reduction,
and it's possible his insurance company is demanding it.(Try getting a
new buildings insurance policy and you'll see how picky insurers are
becoming about trees).

If the tree forks quite low down (as many beech do), it may be
possible for a good arborist to remove one or more forks and shape the
remianing one, leaving a single smaller trunk at a lower height. But be
warned, this will be an ongoing job and expense, as beech is a fast
growing resilient tree to 90 ft. Lovely as they are, they are completely
unsuitable for a specimen tree on the boundary of the average suburban
garden; particularly now that climate change offers more gales and storm
damage.

As others have said, use a qualified , INSURED treefeller to do the work.

Janet

Old 29-01-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from MikeW contains these words:

PammyT, : wrote:
"MikeW"
. com...
hi
I have a copper beach tree at the end of my garden

ITYM beech ;-)

Indeed !
But I am on sandy soil

Don't lie down on your trowel.

Janet
Old 29-01-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

penance, : wrote:

[...]

Hmm well its not that unreasonable I have a very long garden the
neighbour has only 35ft and this tree is very close to the boundary
although not overhanging it.
Its vitally important in these cases to try and see the situation from
the other peoples point.
As such I am quite prepared to reduce the height of the tree, the advice
I was seeking was whether a Copper Beech tree could be pruned back hard
and survive.
Of course I will be using a tree surgeon to curry out this work but
wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge with this tree species.
Old 29-01-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
MikeW wrote:

Hmm well its not that unreasonable I have a very long garden the
neighbour has only 35ft and this tree is very close to the boundary
although not overhanging it.
Its vitally important in these cases to try and see the situation from
the other peoples point.

You sound like a decent, neighbourly sort of person :-)

Which aspect? If it is to the north of his garden, there is a much
lesser problem than if it is to the south.

Of course I will be using a tree surgeon to curry out this work but
wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge with this tree species.

My posting was based on certain knowledge. Beech is one of the trees
that can be coppiced, and is commonly grown as a hedge. But it is
less clear whether that is feasible for such a large tree.

As someone else posted, it is quite possible that the tree has simply
got too big for the location, in which case it might be reasonable
to remove it (the timber has value) and replace it by something else.
Without inspecting, it is hard to say - well, actually, it is easy
to say, but bullshit is best ignored.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
If the tree is overhanging the boundary, the neighbour is legally
entitled to have every overhanging part cut back to the boundary line.
Even if the overhanging section is the main leader of the trunk.
Not so, it is reasonable as long as the work carried out does not pose a threat to the tree, this is assuming the tree is healthy and not a threat to property or people.
There has been a precedence set in court for this (in the UK). I have the reference in my college notes somewhere.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 29-01-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

Nick Maclaren, : wrote:
In article ,
MikeW wrote:

Hmm well its not that unreasonable I have a very long garden the
neighbour has only 35ft and this tree is very close to the boundary
although not overhanging it.
Its vitally important in these cases to try and see the situation from
the other peoples point.

You sound like a decent, neighbourly sort of person :-)

life is to short for anything else.:-)

Which aspect? If it is to the north of his garden, there is a much
lesser problem than if it is to the south.

north-east to there garden, so It does cast a shade in the later
afternoon.

Of course I will be using a tree surgeon to curry out this work but
wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge with this tree species.

My posting was based on certain knowledge. Beech is one of the trees
that can be coppiced, and is commonly grown as a hedge. But it is
less clear whether that is feasible for such a large tree.

As someone else posted, it is quite possible that the tree has simply
got too big for the location, in which case it might be reasonable
to remove it (the timber has value) and replace it by something else.

Yes I had considered this, but I am unhappy completely destroying any
tree.
I have a tree surgeon coming to look at it tomorrow, so I will see what
his opinion is.
Thanks
MikeW