Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Good-oh!. family tree on a Bramley stock. I've got room to put one
decent sized tree.

About the only reason apples are grafted on to rootstocks is to reduce the
size of the tree/bush. Different root stock given different "dwarfing"
characteristics. For more info google for "apple root stock types"

I'm happy with 'vigorous'. If you restrict the growth by pruning, the
rest of it won't get too out-of-hand.

Not in my lifetime, anyway.

I've got a bramley on M25 which is proving a brute - I wish you every luck
in attempting to control one on it's own roots!
Old 16-02-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

This will be the 106 which is very good in its own right. It is unnamed and
strikes well from cuttings. Other numbered rootstocks all have a distinct
crab apple flavour.

Got 11 cuttings of the probable M106 which I shall poke into the ground
tomorrow.

Must make some tags.

I make tags by cutting up thin white polythene bottles like thin bleach
or washing-up squeezees, and punching holes with a leather punch. A hot
skewer will do instead.

Some felt-tip pens work on them, or Chinagraph. (Or steel punches...)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-02-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Some felt-tip pens work on them,

Many such pens (even the "permanent" ones) fade badly in the sunlight, or
just with time. I only depend on such for a single season, and they're
often nearly unreadable by fall.