Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

I've got round to asking a chap down the road if I can have some
cuttings from his cooker (not gas or eclectic...) and I take them
tomorrow. It's a very old tree, and the apples are *VAST* - around the
size of a Charles Ross, but the wrong shape for that apple.

Also, am taking cuttings from a rootstock tree - so:

Anyone tried this? (I haven't a tree I can graft or bud onto)

Do they take better from old wood, or last year's growth?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-02-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
I've got round to asking a chap down the road if I can have some
cuttings from his cooker (not gas or eclectic...) and I take them
tomorrow. It's a very old tree, and the apples are *VAST* - around the
size of a Charles Ross, but the wrong shape for that apple.

Also, am taking cuttings from a rootstock tree - so:

Anyone tried this? (I haven't a tree I can graft or bud onto)

Do they take better from old wood, or last year's growth?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuttings are not recommended. If they strike then they will have
lost the growth habits of the parent tree and will probably grow on for
years without fruiting.
Cuttings from rootstocks take more readily and can be grafted, budded
or chipped a year later. Bought rootstocks could be budded this summer.
Last year's growth will root most readily.
Having said the above there is a West Country costard that roots
readily from any wood and actually produces aerial roots on lower branches
and fruits the next year from large cuttings.
I don't find Charles Ross a 'Vast' apple~~ some can be twice the size
but non-commercial.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

Cuttings are not recommended. If they strike then they will have
lost the growth habits of the parent tree and will probably grow on for
years without fruiting.
Cuttings from rootstocks take more readily and can be grafted, budded
or chipped a year later. Bought rootstocks could be budded this summer.
Last year's growth will root most readily.

Ta. I'll root the lot and graft or bud onto the rootstock cuttings. I
want too many to think about buying even bare-rooted rootstock. (Making
a hedge out of fruit trees, a cross between cordons and laying.)

Having said the above there is a West Country costard that roots
readily from any wood and actually produces aerial roots on lower branches
and fruits the next year from large cuttings.

Hmmm.

Want!

I don't find Charles Ross a 'Vast' apple~~ some can be twice the size
but non-commercial.

Well, the two Charles Ross trees we had in the garden when I was an
anklebiter had apples which were up to six inches across. These cookers
are almost as large and on a very old and neglected tree.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...en/apples4.jpg
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...en/apples1.jpg

Those are by no means the largest specimens.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains
these words:

[...]
Having said the above there is a West Country costard that
roots readily from any wood and actually produces aerial roots on
lower branches and fruits the next year from large cuttings.

Hmmm.

Want!

Me too! Brian, don't leave us in suspense.

I don't find Charles Ross a 'Vast' apple~~ some can be twice the
size but non-commercial.

Well, the two Charles Ross trees we had in the garden when I was an
anklebiter had apples which were up to six inches across. These
cookers
are almost as large and on a very old and neglected tree.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...en/apples4.jpg
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...en/apples1.jpg

Those are by no means the largest specimens.

Ugly buggers. Hope they taste good.

--
Mike.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Those are by no means the largest specimens.

Ugly buggers. Hope they taste good.

They do, both as slightly tart eaters, and cookers, where they render
rather like Bramleys.

The cavities in the core are large and open, making it very easy to
remove the fingernaily bits and leave the flesh between them - no waste
- just the pips, the stalk, a small pile of hard flakes instead of the
core, and if you don't eat it, the skin.

My plan (ATM) is to get one bare root rootstock tree and bud and/or
graft some on to it, and some other favoured varieties to make a family
tree, and with the others, grow the cuttings on and if necessary graft
them onto rootstock cuttings, and replace an unkempt Lonicera hedge with
fruit trees, in an arrangement somewhere between cordons and layering.

I've a Hunza apricot to go in it, and there will be more, I hope.

AnnIwanna quince.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 07-02-2006, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Can't say I am a fan of family trees, why, because they are a
compromise of growth habits with regards to the sion.
IMHO, far better to graft onto M106 / M111 rootstock and grow as
cordons, either angled, doubles or as veticals.
If you have a spare rootstock, a good way of propogating is to mound
layer, that is cover the rootstock with compost in a mound, and where
the shoots are new woody shoots will develop which inturn can be used
as propogating material. Have seen this done on an intesive scale.
As you are further south than me rusty, I guess you apricots may fair
ok. Here they are a semi greehouse plant.

What ever - a fruit hedge has to be admired. An excellent choice.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorks. on the scounge for graft wood, hoping
to graft yet more apple trees.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "cliff_the_gardener" contains
these words:

Can't say I am a fan of family trees, why, because they are a
compromise of growth habits with regards to the sion.
IMHO, far better to graft onto M106 / M111 rootstock and grow as
cordons, either angled, doubles or as veticals.

Very long, narrow garden isn't suited to it, unless I completely re-work
it, hence the hedge.

If you have a spare rootstock, a good way of propogating is to mound
layer, that is cover the rootstock with compost in a mound, and where
the shoots are new woody shoots will develop which inturn can be used
as propogating material.

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

Bramley cuttings ought to make good rootstock, too.

Have seen this done on an intesive scale.
As you are further south than me rusty, I guess you apricots may fair
ok. Here they are a semi greehouse plant.

Apricots do quite well, but the ones I have in mind are Hunzas, which
come from colder climes. They (traditionally) are left on the bush to
dry.

What ever - a fruit hedge has to be admired. An excellent choice.

Perhaps I'd better display my armoury prominently to discourage scrumpers...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

There are different rootstocks for different purposes. For a hedge I
would think you'd need a dwarfing rootstock.

Janet
Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Anson

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

There are different rootstocks for different purposes. For a hedge I
would think you'd need a dwarfing rootstock.

I considered that, but dwarfed trees won't thicken up to make a proper
hedge, and take an age to get anywhere at all. Besides, buying the
rootstocks for a hedge would be prohibitively expensive. The
immediate(ish) possibilities are for a hedge of a bit over 40 feet in
length. The individual (proper) trees will be restrained by regular
pruning and possibly, clipping.

I'd considered this sort of arrangement:

|'/ \'| |'/ \'| \''/ \'|
|| Garage || ||- trees - || || ||
||# entry #||########||############||############||######### #########||###

And the prunings, cut to six inches and stored, make excellent fragrant
kindling for the winter fire.

I'm now thinking of putting a rail in the chimney to smoke things on -
the first eight or ten feet of it are a great funnel, about 3' 6" at the
bottom. A sheet steel heat-exchanger to extract the heat of the smoke
and convect it into the room should cool it sufficiently to cold-smoke
things up the lum. I'd get a small fire burning in the Godin stove and
heap apple or oak chips on it and let it smoulder.

Now - do I go the whole hog (and make bacon?) and put a door in the lum
just under the ceiling?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-02-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~#
This will be the 106 which is very good in its own right. It is unnamed and
strikes well from cuttings. Other numbered rootstocks all have a distinct
crab apple flavour.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

~~~~~~~~~~~#
This will be the 106 which is very good in its own right. It is unnamed and
strikes well from cuttings. Other numbered rootstocks all have a distinct
crab apple flavour.

Aye, thanks - you mentioned that on the 19th October last year.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

I ordered my rootstocks through the Northern Fruit Group - get them at
the end of the month. Because of the volume the group buys, the price
is much less than you would have thought.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

Old 08-02-2006, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Well thanks for the education on the Hunzas, didn't know about that.
Have you seen these realy dwarf peach/ apricot trees - they are grown
in a pot. The rootstock is really knarled. More that I am used to
seeing.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S. Yorks.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message . com
from "cliff_the_gardener" contains
these words:

Well thanks for the education on the Hunzas, didn't know about that.
Have you seen these realy dwarf peach/ apricot trees - they are grown
in a pot. The rootstock is really knarled. More that I am used to
seeing.

Not seen them, no.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

Bramley cuttings ought to make good rootstock, too.

Eeek. Bramley is a very vigorous big tree. I think most apples would be a
better bet on their own roots than on bramley!

About the only reason apples are grafted on to rootstocks is to reduce the
size of the tree/bush. Different root stock given different "dwarfing"
characteristics. For more info google for "apple root stock types"