Old 06-02-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default Vegetables suited to part shade?

We have taken on an allotment recently, January 2005, and last summer we
didn't get round to using the back part. This year we want to bring it
into use and, as it gets full sun only in the morning and late
afternoon, were wondering which vegetables would be best suited to these
conditions. We are in North London, so the soil has a lot of clay, but
the plot is reasonably well drained.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Regards,
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Paul wrote:

We have taken on an allotment recently, January 2005, and last summer we
didn't get round to using the back part. This year we want to bring it
into use and, as it gets full sun only in the morning and late
afternoon, were wondering which vegetables would be best suited to these
conditions. We are in North London, so the soil has a lot of clay, but
the plot is reasonably well drained.

What about vegetables suitable for intercroping, which don't require
much sun like raddishes, spinash and chicory. There's also the woodland
bushes, like blackberries which do well in the shade. I also have 2
rubbarbs and one is in partial shade and does as well as the other one
(and are suitable to moist soil). I have lots of herbs in partial shade
too (too many pots) and mint and lemon balm are even growing under a
bench ...! As long as they stay moist they're happy, and since your
part of the plot is not entirely in the shade I think you've got a lot
of choices. HTH

Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
La Puce wrote:

What about vegetables suitable for intercroping, which don't require
much sun like raddishes, spinash and chicory. There's also the woodland
bushes, like blackberries which do well in the shade. ...

Blackberries are wood EDGE plants, actually, and don't crop in deep
shade.

The problem is that there is a reaonable amount of light only from
early April to mid-September, and it is typically warm enough for
much growth in dark conditions only from June onwards. So essentially
nothing that needs to ripen fruit or establish foodstores (e.g. roots)
will grow well. Some foliage and similar plants will do OK in the
summer, and herbs don't need to make much growth.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Blackberries are wood EDGE plants, actually, and don't crop in deep
shade.

Sure. But the fellow has full sun in the morning and late afternoon.

The problem is that there is a reaonable amount of light only from
early April to mid-September, and it is typically warm enough for
much growth in dark conditions only from June onwards. So essentially
nothing that needs to ripen fruit or establish foodstores (e.g. roots)
will grow well. Some foliage and similar plants will do OK in the
summer, and herbs don't need to make much growth.

What foliage plants do you have in mind? I didn't want to be too
negative - I've suggested rubarb, which I still find impossible to
spell for some strange reason. I've suggested quick growing crop, like
chicory and radishes which are happy in the shade, and in this case,
semi shade. But as for tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorns etc ... frankly
it would be a waste of time.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| Blackberries are wood EDGE plants, actually, and don't crop in deep
| shade.
|
| Sure. But the fellow has full sun in the morning and late afternoon.

Yes, which is why they would be fine. They are happy if they
get only full light and never direct sun; but they won't crop
in the full shade of a wood, even if they have enough water.

| What foliage plants do you have in mind? I didn't want to be too
| negative - I've suggested rubarb, which I still find impossible to
| spell for some strange reason. I've suggested quick growing crop, like
| chicory and radishes which are happy in the shade, and in this case,
| semi shade. But as for tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorns etc ... frankly
| it would be a waste of time.

Well, spinach, rocket, even chard, and so on are foliage plants.
Lettuce and brassicas can be a bit trickier, as the more highly
hybridised ones often depend on good conditions. Radishes and
rhubarb are essentially foliage plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
| What foliage plants do you have in mind? I didn't want to be too
| negative - I've suggested rubarb, which I still find impossible to
| spell for some strange reason. I've suggested quick growing crop, like
| chicory and radishes which are happy in the shade, and in this case,
| semi shade. But as for tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorns etc ... frankly
| it would be a waste of time.

Well, spinach, rocket, even chard, and so on are foliage plants.
Lettuce and brassicas can be a bit trickier, as the more highly
hybridised ones often depend on good conditions. Radishes and
rhubarb are essentially foliage plants.

Ho silly me! For a moment I thought 'foliage' plant, what does he means
.... just leaves, green plants... what plants?!?

Perhaps it's my switching from one language to another (that and the
revisions. Feeling a bit tired now actually).