Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default good tomato varieties for first timer

hi all

as it says...

I would ideally like to grow plum and cherry tomatoes
and maybe a beefsteak or something really sweet (like italian toms)

I plan to start them in a very bright SF attic
(there are three 4 foot square velux windows)
and transplant to one of those plastic greenhouses
when the time is right

i have heard that the bush type are easy for newbs

any advice welcome

BTW could i leave them indoor for their duration
my attic is a suntrap but cools down a good bit
when its not sunny

TIA

niall

Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clare

Sungold and Gardeners' Delight are both really excellantly tasting
varieties, but will need to be tied into a support and have the side
shoots pinched out regularly.

Slightly less trouble perhaps are the determinate (bush) types - this
means they support themselves pretty much and grow into kind of bush.
I grew Tumbler in pots the first time I grew tomatoes, we got
absolutely loads of fruits but the taste isn't as good as you might
hope, given the amount of effort watering them. I've heard that
Tornado is a good determinate variety but I've not tried it.

This year I'm going to try a just a couple of plants of several
different varieties, to spread out the cropping season and get
different flavours. You could try something similar, seeds are cheap
after all (there's no need to sew the whole packet), and see which
varieties you prefer.

For ref, I've grown all my tomatoes outside, in a really sunny spot.
We get a lot of sun here in Surrey in the summer.

Clare.