Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Green Fingers

I've heard somewhere that 'having green fingers' (in the States it's
'having a green thumb' and in France it's 'having a green hand') that
it's not only because one is good at gardening but because of some
chemical reaction from one's hand onto the plants (and vise versa). Now
is this true?

Old 07-02-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've heard somewhere that 'having green fingers' (in the States it's
'having a green thumb' and in France it's 'having a green hand') that
it's not only because one is good at gardening but because of some
chemical reaction from one's hand onto the plants (and vise versa). Now
is this true?

And does this account for the incredible hulk?

Steve

Old 07-02-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Steve wrote
"La Puce" wrote
I've heard somewhere that 'having green fingers' (in the States it's
'having a green thumb' and in France it's 'having a green hand') that
it's not only because one is good at gardening but because of some
chemical reaction from one's hand onto the plants (and vise versa). Now
is this true?

And does this account for the incredible hulk?

Perhaps the Jolly Green Giant?

I've not heard of this, anyone know of some proper science on the subject?
I always thought it just that some people take the trouble to understand
their plants requirements and after a while it come naturally.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've heard somewhere that 'having green fingers' (in the States it's
'having a green thumb' and in France it's 'having a green hand') that
it's not only because one is good at gardening but because of some
chemical reaction from one's hand onto the plants (and vise versa). Now
is this true?

Dunno! but I can tell you having green thumbs is literally true during the
seasons, moving pots around we always grip the edge with thumb inside and
the algae stains our thumbs green!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-02-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
Steve wrote
"La Puce" wrote

I've heard somewhere that 'having green fingers' (in the States it's
'having a green thumb' and in France it's 'having a green hand') that
it's not only because one is good at gardening but because of some
chemical reaction from one's hand onto the plants (and vise versa). Now
is this true?

And does this account for the incredible hulk?

Perhaps the Jolly Green Giant?

I've not heard of this, anyone know of some proper science on the subject?
I always thought it just that some people take the trouble to understand
their plants requirements and after a while it come naturally.

Dunno, but my mother always reckoned all I had to do was to stick
something in the soil and it would grow.

She may be right - I was looking for the handfork the other day 'cos it
wasn't with the trowels, and I found a really *BIG* fork growing amongst
the artichokes.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 07-02-2006, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

Dunno, but my mother always reckoned all I had to do was to stick
something in the soil and it would grow.

She may be right - I was looking for the handfork the other day 'cos it
wasn't with the trowels, and I found a really *BIG* fork growing amongst
the artichokes.

Take cuttings, and you'll soon be rich.

Janet
Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Dunno! but I can tell you having green thumbs is literally true during the
seasons, moving pots around we always grip the edge with thumb inside and
the algae stains our thumbs green!

)

Bother! I was sure there was something about it - someone told me. I
can't have dreamt it. I can't find anything on this. It's strange ...

Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Dunno! but I can tell you having green thumbs is literally true during
the
seasons, moving pots around we always grip the edge with thumb inside and
the algae stains our thumbs green!

)

Bother! I was sure there was something about it - someone told me. I
can't have dreamt it. I can't find anything on this. It's strange ...

FWIW I too, vaguely remember something about this. It sounds extremely
unlikely. How about sweating/sebum hands contain a complex cocktail of
organic chemicals, some of which are "fatty acids" .Similar fatty acids are
now widely used for control of aphids etc.
Plant gets less ravaged and success rate is higher. I Suppose if we were
taking about tiny seedlings then the theory might nearly....

Old 07-02-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

Dunno, but my mother always reckoned all I had to do was to stick
something in the soil and it would grow.

She may be right - I was looking for the handfork the other day 'cos it
wasn't with the trowels, and I found a really *BIG* fork growing amongst
the artichokes.

Take cuttings, and you'll soon be rich.

I dig that idea.

--