Old 23-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Joe

Default Sandpit Sand

I would appreciate some advice. I have a bag of sandpit sand but no
sandpit, nor the need of one. Can this sand be put to horticultural
uses?
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Joe wrote:
I would appreciate some advice. I have a bag of sandpit sand but no
sandpit, nor the need of one. Can this sand be put to horticultural
uses?

Yes, very much so. It can be used for most horticultural purposes
that simply say "sand". When using it for potting up things that
need extreme drainage, you may want to check that it has few fine
particles by washing it first. Just put some in a bucket, stir it
up with plenty of water and pour the water onto the garden. The
remainder will be the medium and large particles - but I should
guess that it will be mostly made up of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 23-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Yes, very much so. It can be used for most horticultural purposes
that simply say "sand". When using it for potting up things that
need extreme drainage, you may want to check that it has few fine
particles by washing it first. Just put some in a bucket, stir it
up with plenty of water and pour the water onto the garden. The
remainder will be the medium and large particles - but I should
guess that it will be mostly made up of them.

But check for any additives first. Prepared sandpit sand often contains
insecticides in anticipation of the livestock the pit can gather from
its users. The bag it is in should say so if that is the case.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Joe

Thank you Nick and Allan, your advice is much appreciated. Regards
--
Joe Farrugia, London

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
swimming pool sand filter operation clive Ponds 3 08-12-2003 05:04 PM
WHAT... My pond a sandpit Mistatee Ponds 20 28-08-2003 09:02 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
white river sand alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM