Old 26-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Killing a tree without chopping it down

Do you want to kill the sideshoot or the entire tree? I suspect creosote
will kill the entire tree. Ringing should kill it but Sycamores seem to be
almost indestructible in my experience.

I moved into a house with 3 small sycamores (OK, 20ft high, but not
established yet) in the garden 5 years ago - they still keep coming back. I
suppose I should have dug up the roots but I've adopted the "if you see it,
cut it down" approach, and it's slowly having the desire affect.

Paul DS.

"sid" wrote in message
Is there a way to kill a large sideshoot coming from
a sycamore tree at near-ground level without chopping
it down? Is it true that trees can be killed by sawing
a ring through the bark e.g. half cm deep? (I read
somewhere ages ago that trees transport nutrients
upwards just under the bark?) Does creosote help
with this sot of thing?
Thanks
Sid

Old 26-03-2003, 12:20 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Martin Brown
writes
sid wrote:

Is there a way to kill a large sideshoot coming from
a sycamore tree at near-ground level without chopping it down?

snip
Copper nails are alleged to work by the trace copper inhibiting an
enzyme that prevents natural fungi attacking live wood. I have never
seen it work in practice but it might be worth a try.

The experiment on the row of leylandii is continuing here but it's too
soon to tell if they've been effective. No new growth is noticeable yet
tho'.

--
dave @ stejonda

October 7 Bush Iraq Speech Analysis http://www.accuracy.org/bush/
Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:35:35 -0000, "sid"
wrote:

Is there a way to kill a large sideshoot coming from
a sycamore tree at near-ground level without chopping
it down? Is it true that trees can be killed by sawing
a ring through the bark e.g. half cm deep? (I read
somewhere ages ago that trees transport nutrients
upwards just under the bark?) Does creosote help
with this sot of thing?

Cut two rings 1 or 2 inches apart, and strip off the bark between. You
may still get some leaf activity from the upper part for a year or
two, so-called 'proud growth', due to the sap remaining in the trunk,
but it'll die eventually. The ones I treated that way did.

--
Chris