Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
frank stefek

Default Weigela

What is the common name?
If its over hanging the lawn, how would you go about pruning it?

Cheers

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
bnd777

Weigela is a pretty tough shrub .......suggest you prune out the lower
branches now and then prune the entire shrub back after flowering to about
1/2 of the size you desire .......it will then produce new shoots and reach
full size

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:27:07 +0000 (UTC), "frank stefek"
wrote:

What is the common name?

If it looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/8f9b
It's what we (USA) call Honeysuckle.

Bart
Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
bnd777

Really !!!!!!!!
So what on earth do the USA call Honeysuckle then cos I sure have seen
Honeysuckle growing in the USA just the same as we have in the UK

Old 30-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:07:29 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

Really !!!!!!!!
So what on earth do the USA call Honeysuckle then cos I sure have seen
Honeysuckle growing in the USA just the same as we have in the UK

Is this a trick question?
We call Honeysuckle, "Honeysuckle".
....or is it an excuse
to display your discourteous top posting style?

I responded to a query about the common name for Weigela,
which isn't at all a common plant name to me, but a quick google came up
with caprifoliaceae, and the associated illustrations were of what I
know as Honeysuckle.
That's why I posted a link to one of those illustrations,
as a qualifier.

Old 30-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
wrote:

What is the common name?

If it looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/8f9b
It's what we (USA) call Honeysuckle.

We (UK) call that honeysuckle too - but that is Lonicera. Weigela is a
different genus. I've never heard a common name for it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Jack

Weigela shouldn't be pruned until after it's flowered, or else it won't
flower this year. It should flower in late spring, early summer. I don't
know of any common name for it.

Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Since your link failed to work it was not possible to decide what you were
calling Honeysuckle
As for suggesting top posting is discourteous .....what a lot of nonsense

In the UK most gardeners know exactly what Weigela is and looks like

Old 01-04-2003, 06:56 PM

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:34:28 +0100, "Jack" wrote:

Weigela shouldn't be pruned until after it's flowered, or else it won't
flower this year. It should flower in late spring, early summer. I don't
know of any common name for it.

"frank stefek" wrote in message
What is the common name?
If its over hanging the lawn, how would you go about pruning it?

Cheers

I'm with Kay. Only ever heard it called weigela. Honeysuckle is
nothing like it and to me bottom posting is by far the most logical
way to follow what is said. Diana

Weigela pruning question rosemarie face Gardening 5 24-02-2004 03:42 AM
Pronouncing (and propagating) Weigela John Ladasky Gardening 4 08-06-2003 08:08 AM
Pronouncing Weigela Ian Gardening 12 07-06-2003 07:32 PM
Has Weigela 'French Lace' already bloomed? Melinda Tennielle Gardening 5 16-04-2003 03:32 AM
Weigela - tough as old boots! MG United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:08 PM