Old 16-02-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Signatures

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Gardening_Convert" writes:

| How do you create a signature ?

Well, you can just type one in. Or you can created a file with
what you would type and include it in your postings (which is what
I do). Or you can set up the mailer/reader to do it automatically.
Whatever.

I suggest ignoring the nonsense about two hyphens and a space,
because it was and is completely demented. I could tell you the
history of the 'convention', and it is even more insane than most
aspects of Usenet.

Until you meet some **** with a sig longer than 100 lines!

Richard.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
Old 16-02-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 16/2/06 16:28, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , writes:

| However it is polite to include it for those of us who still use

programs
| which recognise and use it. It's hardly onerous to add it.

And it is impolite to send it to the people who don't. It is
hardly onerous to remove it.

It was and is an utterly and totally brain-dead idea, which flew
in the face of every accepted convention on Email, was incompatible
with MOST editors and MOST mailers, was rejected every time it was
proposed, and was sneaked into an RFC on something else by its
demented author.

Ahem. Perhaps we could get into the niceties of the more arcane rules of
the Internet or the WWW or whatever it may be, later. Just for now,

perhaps
explaining how sig files are created would help those interested in

helping
urg to help them. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Well if using Outlook express then go to 'Tools' choose 'Options' and you
will see a tag with signatures on it make a signature. if you make it your
default sig then you simply 'Insert' 'signature' when replying, when
creating a new post it will automatically put it at the end.
I must say its a good idea to know whether a poster has a garden that is
hot/cold, dry/wet, coastal/inland, but just a county would help a lot. it
makes remarks worth so much more if they can be put in context. Over the
years I have come to realise that the only thing Nick's garden and mine have
in common is the ability to make us tired if we over do it! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-02-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
In article ,
writes:

| However it is polite to include it for those of us who still use programs
| which recognise and use it. It's hardly onerous to add it.

And it is impolite to send it to the people who don't.

How?

For the reason you have said below. An unreliable editing convention
causes corruption of data - many of us cut-and-paste messages on a
regular basis (essential when merging, moving into and out of
documents etc.) I have to remember to clobber such insanities when
sending such composite messages on - because people configure that
damn fool feature on.

You ARE aware, aren't you, that MOST editors have a tendency to
add spurious trailing spaces and that '--' is a fairly widespread
comment and other character in many formats?

It is
hardly onerous to remove it.

If your newsreader hasn't already removed it - and the reply which came
after it.

Precisely. Mine doesn't, of course, but I use Email to communicate
information to other people.

It was and is an utterly and totally brain-dead idea, which flew
in the face of every accepted convention on Email, was incompatible
with MOST editors and MOST mailers, was rejected every time it was
proposed, and was sneaked into an RFC on something else by its
demented author.

^^^^^^

He was Mercadian?

Eh?

Funny, you seem to be the only one in step - that is, in resisting it,
not in ignoring it.

Perhaps that is because I know rather more about the history and
consequences of this lunacy than most people. And I am by no means
the only person, though only a few ever speak up.

"For evil to triumph, it is only necessary for good men to do nothing."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-02-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
In article ,
writes:

| However it is polite to include it for those of us who still use
programs
| which recognise and use it. It's hardly onerous to add it.

And it is impolite to send it to the people who don't.

How?

For the reason you have said below. An unreliable editing convention
causes corruption of data - many of us cut-and-paste messages on a
regular basis (essential when merging, moving into and out of
documents etc.) I have to remember to clobber such insanities when
sending such composite messages on - because people configure that
damn fool feature on.

My heart bleeds...

You ARE aware, aren't you, that MOST editors have a tendency to
add spurious trailing spaces and that '--' is a fairly widespread
comment and other character in many formats?

Most editors (correctly) add *ONE* trailing space.

It is
hardly onerous to remove it.

If your newsreader hasn't already removed it - and the reply which came
after it.

Precisely. Mine doesn't, of course, but I use Email to communicate
information to other people.

Mine is configurable. And WTH has your comment about e-mail got to do
with anything?

It was and is an utterly and totally brain-dead idea, which flew
in the face of every accepted convention on Email, was incompatible
with MOST editors and MOST mailers, was rejected every time it was
proposed, and was sneaked into an RFC on something else by its
demented author.

^^^^^^

He was Mercadian?

Eh?

Funny, you seem to be the only one in step - that is, in resisting it,
not in ignoring it.

Perhaps that is because I know rather more about the history and
consequences of this lunacy than most people. And I am by no means
the only person, though only a few ever speak up.

Quite - it's not a bad function at all.

"For evil to triumph, it is only necessary for good men to do nothing."

Quite - which is why I'm defending its use.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 16-02-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you create a signature ?

For Outlook Express
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_in....htm#signature

You can manually insert the signature by selecting insert on the e mail
ribbon bar or the icon on the toolbar (if you have customised the toolbar to
add it)
If you allow O/E to automatically insert a signature it will add it at the
top of a post you are replying to.

Old 16-02-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

You know what I did really want to create any hard feeling between
people by asking such a simple question.

by the way I don't use a client I use the Google web interface .

Also Sacha I think it is a good idea

Everyone else lets please not get hung up on conventions life is too
short !!

Old 16-02-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

If you allow O/E to automatically insert a signature it will add it at the
top of a post you are replying to.

Why am I not surprised?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-02-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message .com,
Gardening_Convert wrote

Everyone else lets please not get hung up on conventions life is too
short !!

If we are not sticking to conventions shouldn't we also include a
picture of our gardens with every posting to this group?

begin garden.jpg

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 16-02-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/2/06 18:24, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Gardening_Convert" writes:

| How do you create a signature ?

Well, you can just type one in. Or you can created a file with
what you would type and include it in your postings (which is what
I do). Or you can set up the mailer/reader to do it automatically.
Whatever.

I suggest ignoring the nonsense about two hyphens and a space,
because it was and is completely demented. I could tell you the
history of the 'convention', and it is even more insane than most
aspects of Usenet.

Until you meet some **** with a sig longer than 100 lines!

Very, very deep sigh. URG requests a sig file of no more than 4 lines.
Okay? Everyone pontificating here about how to create a sig file will
SURELY KNOW that, won't they? Because they will have read about it before
telling the rest of us about trailing signatures or hanging baskets. Yes?

Now that all those who are seriously, seriously, seriously
computer-literate-maniacs-who-could-clear-a-pub-in-10-minutes are going to
argue about bloody lines and dashes and names and when and where and how and
if, I really wish I hadn't started this. I really do. I thought it would
*help* those new to the group asking questions pertaining to their own
gardens. Please allow me to point out to those of you having a lovely time
arguing about the hows and wheres, that this was my original intention.
Instead, it's degenerated into a ridiculous squabble about HOW TO USE YOUR
LUMP OF PLASTICINE. But as this is a newsgroup and you're all free to play
in the kitty litter to your heart's content, I give up; God forbid common
sense should prevail. Please, do go on discussing your feathering dashes
and spaces - so much more important than ease of use of urg for its
contributors, after all. Bum. And humph. And a couple of mutters and
grumbles, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Sacha wrote:
On 16/2/06 18:24, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article .com,
"Gardening_Convert" writes:

| How do you create a signature ?

Well, you can just type one in. Or you can created a file with
what you would type and include it in your postings (which is what
I do). Or you can set up the mailer/reader to do it automatically.
Whatever.

I suggest ignoring the nonsense about two hyphens and a space,
because it was and is completely demented. I could tell you the
history of the 'convention', and it is even more insane than most
aspects of Usenet.

Until you meet some **** with a sig longer than 100 lines!

Very, very deep sigh. URG requests a sig file of no more than 4 lines.
Okay? Everyone pontificating here about how to create a sig file will
SURELY KNOW that, won't they? Because they will have read about it before
telling the rest of us about trailing signatures or hanging baskets. Yes?

[ARJed into RTFUG]

NO! ****ING NO! Now stand in the corner of the room, stupid child! How
many times have you seen the Usenet Guidelines on a cover disk where
most people seem to get their AOL/Wanadoo kicks ? It's only hinted at
when joining up and now we get Googlers asking if they can subscribe or
unsubscribe.

Assume nothing and expect anything.

Richard.

Old 16-02-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "Gardening_Convert" contains these words:

You know what I did really want to create any hard feeling between
people by asking such a simple question.

You won't - we enjoy a bit of gardener-baiting from time to time, and
there are no hard feelings.

WHO THREW THAT?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2006, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

If you allow O/E to automatically insert a signature it will add it at
the
top of a post you are replying to.

Why am I not surprised?

--
Rusty

You are not surprised because perhaps you do not frequent Msoft public
newsgroups where it is quite common to top post, particularly by MVP folk.

Old 17-02-2006, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Why am I not surprised?

You are not surprised because perhaps you do not frequent Msoft public
newsgroups where it is quite common to top post, particularly by MVP folk.

I exchange emus with M$ minions in the .NET and other areas.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert wrote:
You know what I did really want to create any hard feeling between
people by asking such a simple question.

by the way I don't use a client I use the Google web interface .

Also Sacha I think it is a good idea

Everyone else lets please not get hung up on conventions life is too
short !!

Eh bien, je reponds en francais, ca va?

--
Chris Green