Old 16-02-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Is it a Greenouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without the
inherent problems?

Old 16-02-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Rupert" wrote in message
A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without
the inherent problems?

What is its purpose?

Old 16-02-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

kenty wrote:

"Rupert" wrote in message
A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without
the inherent problems?

What is its purpose?

If it's like mine it's to be used as a veranda )

Old 16-02-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"kenty" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without
the inherent problems?

What is its purpose?

AFAIK it will be used as a conservatory (an extra room) but also as a
greenhouse in which he intends to grow and propagate tender plants.
It will not be attached to the house so I suppose you could add the term
"summerhouse" to the other descriptions.

Old 16-02-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.

AIUI a greenhouse is a glasshouse is a greenhouse...

....unless you mean military jug?

I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.

Greenhouse/glasshouse is an outbuilding and normally doesn't need
planning permission, and doesn't affect the rateable value of the
property.

A conservatory, OTOH, is - or can be - treated as part of the house, and
rateable.

There used to be a provision whereby it was slightly detached from the
main building so did not qualify as part of the house, however, I have
an idea that that loophole - or crack - has been closed in both senses.

Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?

Dunno. AFAIK it is still available for greenhouses, but he'll have to
ask about building regs if it's going to be stuck on the side of the
house.

Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.

For a conservatory, maybe. OTOH, I've seen plenty of carports covered
with polycarbonate, and a friend's conservatory is roofed with twinwall
polycarbonate, so maybe not.

Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass
without the
inherent problems?

I expect it would be double-glazed, so it would be better.

I'd ask in The Shed - Guy King has just molished a conservative, so will
be able to answer at least some of your questions.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 17-02-2006, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

What is its purpose?

AFAIK it will be used as a conservatory (an extra room) but also as a
greenhouse in which he intends to grow and propagate tender plants.
It will not be attached to the house so I suppose you could add the term
"summerhouse" to the other descriptions.

But being in such close proximity, (less than 10m, IIRC) it has to be
below a certain proportion of the floor area of the main building, or it
will require planning permission.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2006, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.

Ask your planning dept, and the architect.

I'm pretty sure the architect is not considering horticultural quality
glass; the enquiry is probably about double-glazing, low E, etc. Any
glass structure attached to the house with with direct entry from it,
will be classified as part of the living space and has to comply with
building regulation safety stipulations ( horticultural glass won't
pass).

Janet

The structure is not attached to the building and will occupy an area
previously occupied by garages/outbuildings.
I think the confusion the architect has is that the client brief was for a
multi purpose building which could serve the purposes already mentioned.
In theory you could use a greenhouse with Hort glass as a
sunroom/conservatory etc. What I wanted clarifying was whether Hort glass
was still used (H&S) and if other forms of glazing would be as good as the
old Hort glass.
I was under the impression that double glazing is not normally used on
greenhouses.

Old 17-02-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TMC

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Yep

just taken delivery of a greenhouse where standard spec was horticultural
glass (I had opted for tempered glass instead for safety reasons)

Tony

Old 17-02-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On 16 Feb 2006 14:18:29 -0800, "La Puce" wrote
this (or the missive included this):

kenty wrote:

"Rupert" wrote in message
A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without
the inherent problems?

What is its purpose?

If it's like mine it's to be used as a veranda )

My conservatory is a good propagator. I stuck a few tomato seeds in
2" pots, stuck 'em inside a deep dish, bit of clingfilm over the top
and they were up and away after 4 days on a window sill. Lettuce
showed up in three days. (Built on conservatory, three large
double patio doors into the house space which are never closed. All
the heat comes out from the main house, apart from three leccy
radiators which are only used once in a blue moon)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 17-02-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:19:24 -0000, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote this (or the missive included
this):

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

What is its purpose?

AFAIK it will be used as a conservatory (an extra room) but also as a
greenhouse in which he intends to grow and propagate tender plants.
It will not be attached to the house so I suppose you could add the term
"summerhouse" to the other descriptions.

But being in such close proximity, (less than 10m, IIRC) it has to be
below a certain proportion of the floor area of the main building, or it
will require planning permission.

Quite a generous proportion, though I think. Locally I was told,
if I remember correctly, that the conservatory area should not exceed
one third of the original house area and ours was quite close to that.
There are exterior grade patio doors between house and conservatory so
that the ratable value was not affected (even if in practice they are
open 24/7)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 17-02-2006, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.

Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?

just taken delivery of a greenhouse where standard spec was horticultural
glass (I had opted for tempered glass instead for safety reasons)

I have always assumed that horticultural glass was simply a cheaper form of
glass than domestic. It will allow the same light through but does not need
to be so optically perfect, ie glass with some optical flaws - seconds. Also
probably thinner - 3 mm. If you have big panes of glass and want to admire
the view, you will want them to be thick and optically perfect.

Tempered glass is more expensive and is used for safety purposed, it depends
on whether your intention is to look through the glass or walk through it!
If you have children you probably want tempered glass, but I do not see that
it is neccessary for adults.

Old 17-02-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
"Rupert" wrote in message ...
A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.
I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.
Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?
Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.
Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass without the
inherent problems?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse
A greenhouse (also called a glasshouse or hothouse) is a building where plants
are cultivated. A greenhouse is built of glass or plastic; it heats up because
the sun's incoming electromagnetic radiation warms plants, soil, and other
things inside the building. Air warmed by the heat from hot interior surfaces is
retained in the building by the roof and wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conserv...8greenhouse%29
A conservatory is a glass and metal structure traditionally found in the gardens
of large houses. Modern versions are smaller, can be made of PVC and are often
added to houses for home improvement purposes. Conservatories can be both
greenhouses and recreational spaces. The modern domestic conservatory is used as
an extra room rather than for horticulture.

IMO green/glasshouses are mostly for garden and plant freaks

Conservatories are often extra living space (sometimes with plants in them)

Jenny

Old 17-02-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Rupert" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldnt construct a conservatory out of hort glass,the stuff is seriously
dangerous.It should be banned .

--
Cheers Keith
Nottinghamshire

Old 20-02-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
IMO green/glasshouses are mostly for garden and plant freaks
Conservatories are often extra living space (sometimes with plants in them)

What's a veranda then huh ;o)

Old 20-02-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
La Puce wrote:

JennyC wrote:
IMO green/glasshouses are mostly for garden and plant freaks
Conservatories are often extra living space (sometimes with plants in them)

What's a veranda then huh ;o)

Generally unsuitable for the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.