Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

Default cleaning a 2nd hand glasshouse?

Hi All,
Some weeks ago someone on a thread here advised someone else to put an add
up for a glasshouse as people are happy to be rid of unwanted ones
(something I never realised!) I did that last week and went today to see
one, it's 8 x 6 and just what I'd like as a starter . It's in great
condition has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey its
free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as a
storage space for a couple of years, mould on the glass etc. Can anyone
advise me on what to use to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid?
Bleach? Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

Once again, thanks for your patience.
Shan (Ireland)

Old 13-05-2003, 11:08 PM
bnd777

When I cleaned mine I used several buckets of Flash and bleach solution plus
a good scrubbing brush oh and rubber gloves to protect my hands

Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
shannie

went today to see one It's in great condition has one pane of glass missing
and needs dismantling, However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as a

"bnd777" wrote in message
When I cleaned mine I used several buckets of Flash and bleach solution

plus
a good scrubbing brush oh and rubber gloves to protect my hands

That's exactly what I had planned on using, while it's still dismantled, so
I could get in all the nooks and crannies, just wasn't too sure about the
detergents.

Thanks again
Shan

Old 14-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

Some weeks ago someone on a thread here advised someone else to put an add
up for a glasshouse as people are happy to be rid of unwanted ones
(something I never realised!) I did that last week and went today to see
one, it's 8 x 6 and just what I'd like as a starter . It's in great
condition has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey its
free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as a
storage space for a couple of years, mould on the glass etc. Can anyone
advise me on what to use to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid?
Bleach? Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

The glass? Salt and vinegar with an optional touch of washing-up liquid.

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

If it's aluminium, you might want to borrow or hire a high pressure washer.
I used one to clear up a similar second hand greenhouse.

For the glass, I cleaned it once (do NOT direct the jet straight at the
glass, hold at an angle so the water "chisels" across the glass), then used
a "razor/stanley blade paint scraper" to remove the stubborn filth and then
cleaned once more.

For the frame, the pressure washer was all I needed.

FYI, make sure you fix the greenhouse down to the ground FIRMLY. I laid a
concrete surround, sat mine on top and it blew sideways about a foot in high
winds (blew "across" the top of the concrete). It's now bolted firmly to
the concrete :-).

You can get various greenhouse spares such as "glass/frame beading" from
www.twowests.co.uk or B&Q spares fit most greehouses. You local glass
merchant will carry common greenhouse glass sizes (2x2, 2x1.5 etc) pre-cut.

Enjoy,
Paul DS.

Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message t
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these words:

If it's aluminium, you might want to borrow or hire a high pressure washer.
I used one to clear up a similar second hand greenhouse.

For the glass, I cleaned it once (do NOT direct the jet straight at the
glass, hold at an angle so the water "chisels" across the glass), then used
a "razor/stanley blade paint scraper" to remove the stubborn filth and then
cleaned once more.

Or, you can use a bucket of soapy water or Jeyes fluid in water, soft
hand brush and an ordinary hosepipe.The brush is from your household
dustpan and brush set. Wet glass with hose, wash over with soapy brush,
rinse with hose.This works really well on a completed GH.

If you're washing the separate panes before reconstruction, remember
not to stack clean wet ones against each other; they are really hard to
separate.

Janet.
Old 15-05-2003, 10:32 PM
shannie

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

Thank-you to everyone who replied with various tips, tricks and advice,
looks like a fun weekend ahead

Shan

Old 15-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Simon Avery

"shannie" wrote:

Hello shannie

s has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey
s its free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely
s filthy, been used as a storage space for a couple of years,
s mould on the glass etc. Can anyone advise me on what to use
s to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid? Bleach?
s Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

Since you've got the glass out anyway, stick 'em in a bath (blanket
protecting it), or a trough, water butt, anything for half an hour or
more, maybe with some washing up liquid added if the water won't be
reused.

Then just wipe off with a rag, easy peasy.

Old 16-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Druss

"shannie" wrote in message

Hi All,
Some weeks ago someone on a thread here advised someone else to put an add
up for a glasshouse as people are happy to be rid of unwanted ones
(something I never realised!) I did that last week and went today to see
one, it's 8 x 6 and just what I'd like as a starter . It's in great
condition has one pane of glass missing and needs dismantling, but hey its
free so who's complaining? However... it's absolutely filthy, been used as

storage space for a couple of years, mould on the glass etc. Can anyone
advise me on what to use to clean it when I get it home?..Jeyes fluid?
Bleach? Disinfectant? Breadsoda?

Once again, thanks for your patience.
Shan (Ireland)

Did exactly this last year, and we used jeyes fluid watered down, to clean
the glass, and the frame. However we also needed several new bolts, and new
rubber lining for the glass to sit on, we also anchored the newly moved
greenhouse using a couple of untreated railway sleepers on their edge. Gives
almost another foot of headroom, very useful against the edges and it very
very stable.

My main overriding piece of advice though would be, buy a small instant
camera with flash, and take lots of photos of the dismantaling. If you can
try to label the aluminium bit, they are all meant to be the same, so sides
are interchangable etc, however with it being second hand it might! have
been slightly twisted or bent. If you get this wrong when reassembling it
can be a right bugger to get some of the glass back in. I guess you just
want to make sure the greenhouse is perfectly square (as possible) when
reassembling.

Duncan