Old 21-02-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GKN

Default Fencing Extension

Several years ago I replaced a garden fence bordering my neighbours garden
who was a great guy. This was completed with 3 foot deep wooden panels into
concrete slotted posts with a 12 inch deep concrete gravel board at the
base, making the whole thing about 4 ft high. Very neighbourly.

Since that time the neighbour from hell has moved into the property next
door and I wish to raise the height of the existing panels (Preferably to
the eaves) but I am limited to two metres without planning permission.

Could anyone suggest what would be an acceptable infill above the shorter
posts in between the new panels and the new top line of the fence??

Many thanks. Len.

Old 21-02-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

GKN wrote:
Several years ago I replaced a garden fence bordering my neighbours garden
who was a great guy. This was completed with 3 foot deep wooden panels into
concrete slotted posts with a 12 inch deep concrete gravel board at the
base, making the whole thing about 4 ft high. Very neighbourly.

Since that time the neighbour from hell has moved into the property next
door and I wish to raise the height of the existing panels (Preferably to
the eaves) but I am limited to two metres without planning permission.

Could anyone suggest what would be an acceptable infill above the shorter
posts in between the new panels and the new top line of the fence??

Difficult. Are you thinking of putting 6' panels into short posts,
and filling the gaps with something? If so, I'd contemplate using
some angle iron nailed (or bolted) to a plate the thickness of the
section between panels, and joining the deeper panels to the plate.
The angle irons would go down the slots in the existing slotted
posts, the timber plate would sit on top of the existing posts. So
a plan view of your angles and plate would be:

### Angle irons
|###| bolted thru
|---| timber plate.
_____|###|_____
###

Elevation:

###
###
###
###
\ ###
___\###___
| |###| |
| |###| |
| |###| |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |
| @@@@@@@ |

Whether this makes any sense, I can't tell. Slide some angle irons
down the slots in the fence posts, for the sake of example 6' long.
One flat will be in the slot, flat to the post, the other will be
at 90 degrees, i.e. along the line of the fence. Put a piece of 4x2
or whatnot on top of the concrete post, between the angle irons.
Fasten the irons and 4x2 together. Slide in 6' panels (may need
mechanical persuasion), fasten the loose floppy top 3' of panel
to the angle irons. You might be able to get steel "U" channel
to slide down the slots, I dunno, I are late & a bit bev'd.

Old 21-02-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

GKN wrote:

Could anyone suggest what would be an acceptable infill above the
shorter posts in between the new panels and the new top line of the
fence??
Many thanks. Len.

For wooden posts metpost do a post extender.

depending on the profile of your concret posts that might work

http://www.metpost.co.uk/extender.html

les easy to get hold of & i've never seen in the flesh concrete post
extenders

http://www.cocklestorm.com/Post%20Ex...0Bury%20UK.asp

pk

Old 22-02-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"GKN" wrote in message
. uk...
Several years ago I replaced a garden fence bordering my neighbours garden
who was a great guy. This was completed with 3 foot deep wooden panels
into concrete slotted posts with a 12 inch deep concrete gravel board at
the base, making the whole thing about 4 ft high. Very neighbourly.

Since that time the neighbour from hell has moved into the property next
door and I wish to raise the height of the existing panels (Preferably to
the eaves) but I am limited to two metres without planning permission.

Could anyone suggest what would be an acceptable infill above the shorter
posts in between the new panels and the new top line of the fence??

Many thanks. Len.

A thousand bottles of wine and/or lager. Make peace at all costs.

Old 22-02-2006, 05:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Could anyone suggest what would be an acceptable infill above the

shorter
posts in between the new panels and the new top line of the fence??

Many thanks. Len.

"I bet you wish you could nail the neighbour to the fence!!

--

Regards
p.mc