Old 22-02-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Mabbett

Default Black & Decker hedge trimmer needs fixing

Hi, folks,

My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Old 22-02-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/2/06 22:36, in article , "Andy
Mabbett" wrote:

Hi, folks,

My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

Wish I could help Andy, but it's good to see you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-02-2006, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Hi, folks,

My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started
playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker
stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches
in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade,
and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that
cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/

Technology has moved on a lot in the last eight years and I think you will
find a new tool will cut a few inches further .
Go on treat yourself to a new tool .

Old 23-02-2006, 03:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Technology has moved on a lot in the last eight years and I think you will
find a new tool will cut a few inches further .
Go on treat yourself to a new tool .

And some of these new ones are a great deal better than B&D IME - a
couple of years ago I bought an ankle-grinder (well, if you're not
careful) for less than twenty quid, and it had two diamond cutting
wheels and six ordinary ones of three different thicknesses.

At Christmas, I bought for twenty-four pounds a hand circular saw from
Maplin. That had two blades with it, one of them with carbide-tipped
teeth.

So, have a look around: buying a new one will certainly be cheaper than
the minimum charge a firm will make for just *LOOKING* at your B&D.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig