Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Gaz

Default Edging

Hello to everyone. New to forum. From Fife.
Currently I am in the process of doing a front garden and I am looking to
use edging to tidy up. So far I checked B&Q and Homebase. These shops have a
limited range of concrete edging and log rolls. Can these be bought easily
from building suppliers at less cost and more range? Perhaps there are
websites to cater for this.
Thanks for listening.

Kind regards
Gary

Old 02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Emrys Davies

'Gaz',

Wyndley Garden Centres are currently selling 'Eden' Lawn Edge (30ft x
3.3ins) - two for the price of one - for £3.99. They are made of a
wavy, rot proof, attractive green plastic and are easy to handle.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 PM
ned

Emrys Davies wrote:
'Gaz',

Wyndley Garden Centres are currently selling 'Eden' Lawn Edge (30ft
3.3ins) - two for the price of one - for £3.99. They are made of a
wavy, rot proof, attractive green plastic and are easy to handle.

................... and are fine for the first few years. Then the
plastic goes brittle, cracks and chips / shears off. You are then left
with razor sharp edges which will rip weeding fingers to bits.
Bitter experience talking!

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Gaz" contains these words:

Hello to everyone. New to forum. From Fife.
Currently I am in the process of doing a front garden and I am looking to
use edging to tidy up. So far I checked B&Q and Homebase. These shops have a
limited range of concrete edging and log rolls. Can these be bought easily
from building suppliers at less cost and more range?

Yes, and usually they will deliver. Try yellow pages for local
building suppliers.

Janet

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Gaz
writes
Hello to everyone. New to forum. From Fife.
Currently I am in the process of doing a front garden and I am looking to
use edging to tidy up. So far I checked B&Q and Homebase. These shops have a
limited range of concrete edging and log rolls. Can these be bought easily
from building suppliers at less cost and more range?

Yes, most builders merchants seem to stock at least a couple of
manufacturers such as Marshall's, Bradstone, Stonemarket etc. They
normally have catalogues.

You might find some useful links on Cormaics site:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 AM
JennyC

"Gaz" wrote in message
Hello to everyone. New to forum. From Fife.
Currently I am in the process of doing a front garden and I am

looking to
use edging to tidy up. So far I checked B&Q and Homebase. These

shops have a
limited range of concrete edging and log rolls. Can these be bought

easily
from building suppliers at less cost and more range? Perhaps there

are
websites to cater for this.
Thanks for listening.

Kind regards
Gary

You could use empty wine bottles instead :~)

Enjoy the contents first.........
Wash of the labels
dig a shallow trench along where you want the border
Tap the upside down bottles into the trench with a rubber hammer
Leave as much protruding above ground as required
back fill the trench and tap the earth down

This is a cheap and indestructible edging - we've had one bottle break
in 7 years and that was because I was trying to lever a plant out that
was growing near it :~)

Plus you can always add to is as you go along - hic~!

jenny

Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Laurie Moseley

Round the back lawn, between it and the flower beds, we put down paviours. They
have worked pretty well for the past 4 years. They stop the bed spreading and
make mowing easy. It is also simple to trim them using a Cordless strimmer
turned to the vertical cutting direction.

I'm not sure if that was what you were after, but it certainly has saved me a
lot of work, and keeps the place looking tidy.

Laurie
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf
Old 04-04-2003, 01:24 AM
Dave Hunt

Round the back lawn, between it and the flower beds, we put down paviours.
They
have worked pretty well for the past 4 years. They stop the bed spreading and
make mowing easy. It is also simple to trim them using a Cordless strimmer
turned to the vertical cutting direction.

I'm not sure if that was what you were after, but it certainly has saved me
lot of work, and keeps the place looking tidy.
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Instead of paviors why not just use bricks!...much cheaper and easy to find
(often for free!)many of my pathways/beds are bordered with bricks, laid at
right angles to the pathway..makes for a simple,economic edging!

Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----

Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM
hayley

many of my pathways/beds are bordered with bricks, laid at
right angles to the pathway..makes for a simple,economic edging!

what do you put under the bricks? Can you just put them on soil?
Hayley

cobblestones for edging EHMAXEY North Carolina 2 07-04-2003 05:33 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Pond edging plants Steve Jackson United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 09:33 PM
Log roll edging Will United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:32 AM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM