Old 03-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Annabel

Default Speaking of Hogs, when did you see your last hedgehog?

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
Not sure, but I cannot recall seeing a live one for years, even road
kill seems to be increasingly rare (South London)

Anyone noticed a decline in their sightings?

When, where and how did you see your last hog?

Accidentally disturbed one last week in a little used corner

Bell

Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Rog

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.
(East Leicestershire)
--
Rog
http://www.geocities.com/rogerscyberhome

Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike

In article , Rog
writes
Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.
(East Leicestershire)
--
Rog
http://www.geocities.com/rogerscyberhome

Badgers, Rabbits and a few cats.

Hedgehogs? Saw one in the garden ...... ages ago and not too many, if
any, flattened on the road.

Isle of Wight.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 04-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rog
writes
Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.

Well, if you've got badgers around, you wouldn't expect hedgehogs.
badgers are about their only predators.

New Scientist article a while ago was saying that part of the decline in
road kill hedgehogs is selection in favour of hogs that get up and run.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 PM

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:08:14 +0100, Gorgeous George
wrote:

...snip...

When, where and how did you see your last hog?

About 10 minutes ago, in our garden. Mind you, we feed them and have
recently seen 3 at one time.

BTW - signatures should preferably be not more than 3 lines!
--
Tom Chisholm
(Remove 'falseteeth' to e-mail reply)

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Andy

wrote:

Not sure, but I cannot recall seeing a live one for years, even road
kill seems to be increasingly rare (South London)

Anyone noticed a decline in their sightings?

When, where and how did you see your last hog?

Saw a dead one on the A415 in Frilford yesterday. It was a big one!
As a previous poster has said, most of the road kill seems to be
badgers these days. Next animal due for the cull are are fox cubs,
especially near Cambridge for some reason.

I'm a lorry driver and contrary to popular belief most of us try to
avoid running anything over. Depressingly, a colleague of mine was
once prosecuted for obstruction for slowing to let a hedgehog cross
the road. It seems that the God of Traffic takes no prisoners; except
near Aylesbury, where there are special signs for the ducks.

Andy
Old 05-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Serendipity

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:41:31 +0100, "Rog" wrote:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.
(East Leicestershire)

On/In the green in the centre of the small cul-de-sac where
I live - close to the cetre of Plymouth (God's Own Country) -
I saw two last evening. We've had several resident families of
them for well over thirty years. Their capacity for slugs etc
would appear to be over-stated, as our gardens appear
to possess the biggest snails in the Souh-West.

Also frequently seen are squirrels, which come a-visiting
from nearby Central Park.

Until three years ago, we would frequently hear dog foxes
barking at night during the season, but thankfully they
appear to have moved on.

Until a couple of years ago we were also blessed with
many small birds, but with the advent of herring gulls, they
are giving the area a wide berth, more's the pity.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Rog
writes
Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.

We haven't seen a hedgehog for three years now.
There don't seem to be any for a radius of about 10 miles.
Apparently they are susceptible to distemper - at least that is the
reason an elderly farmer friend of ours gives for their complete
disappearance about three years ago.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Kate Morgan

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a definate
decline, usual road kills are badgers.

We haven't seen a hedgehog for three years now.
There don't seem to be any for a radius of about 10 miles.
Apparently they are susceptible to distemper - at least that is the
reason an elderly farmer friend of ours gives for their complete
disappearance about three years ago.

We had plenty last year but no sign of any this year :-( so far.
kate
Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 PM
ned

Rog wrote:
Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a
definate decline, usual road kills are badgers.
(East Leicestershire)

Given that hedgehogs are 'mainly' nocturnal creatures, the only time I
see one is when the dog takes longer than normal over its nightly
'exercise' and I have to 'persuade' it to leave the prickly ball
alone. But the 'evidence' of their presence is all over the lawn every
morning when we do our poop scooping.
(Rural East Midlands)

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kate Morgan
writes

We had plenty last year but no sign of any this year :-( so far.
kate

Just like us.
We had at least three in the garden - well, I saw three individual ones
'at the same time' and there may have been more - then the next year . .
.. none (

Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 AM

"Rog" wrote in message
: Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for a quite a long time, a
definate
: decline, usual road kills are badgers.
: (East Leicestershire)
: --
: Rog
: http://www.geocities.com/rogerscyberhome
:
We haven't had any in our SW London garden for several years now. We used
to have a family and I have a photo somewhere of me feeding a baby by hand.