Old 06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
SusieThompson

Default "Why not eat insects?" - was Which tree and where?

In message , Kay Easton
writes
Is this Rubus arcticus? (not cloudberry - R Chamaemorus, which has white
flowers)? Vera brought some over to the urg meet a couple of years back
- mine is just showing its leaves.

After a search on Google, I'm fairly sure that what's all around us is
Rubus spectablilis, also called salmon berry. It grows to over 6 feet,
very prickly and invasive. When I first saw it flowering I thought it
very attractive, and wondered about using it as hedging. Now that I've
seen just what it can do, I've had second thoughts!
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to

Old 06-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

In this context, tThe purpose of soup as a first course is to fill you up
with something that costs almost nothing to make.

Like Yorkshire pudding ;-)

I was going to say that! But I didn't because Nick might have said that it
needs an egg so could come under the heading of a luxury food rather than
soup made with onion skins and woody parsnips!

I dunno! - the egg would have come from your own chickens, whereas you
probably had to buy the flour.

In the country and suburbia, yes, but not in cities! You could get
dried egg easily enough, but it is almost useless to use for cooking.
I know some people succeeded with it, but most didn't.

Really? I used it for quite a while with no problem - maybe because I
didn't know it was difficult ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I always thought dried egg was an abomination too. My mother bought it and I
remember once that she made 'scrambled egg' which was quite nice but I'd
never tasted the real thing. And didn't until I was married and did it for
myself.

As I intensely dislike the taste of half-cooked egg yolk, I have always
preferred scrambled egg made with dried egg to with real eggs. It has
little in common :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Mary Fisher

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I always thought dried egg was an abomination too. My mother bought it

and I
remember once that she made 'scrambled egg' which was quite nice but I'd
never tasted the real thing. And didn't until I was married and did it

for
myself.

As I intensely dislike the taste of half-cooked egg yolk, I have always
preferred scrambled egg made with dried egg to with real eggs. It has
little in common :-)

Depends what you call half cooked yolk ... I don't like solid yolk,
especially in a boiled egg.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Mary Fisher

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...pectabilis.htm

'edible but taste varies', the site says. So I looked in my book (Usher:
'Plants used by man') which says 'the eskimos eat the fruit mixed with
seal oil' .. so clearly, it all depends on how you serve them!

When I read that a floavour came into my mouth which I realised was linseed
oil.

I've no idea what seal oil tastes like but am willing to try. I'm sure it's
nothing like linseed.

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"SusieThompson" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

When you're settled we'll come and see you. Let me know.

Everything on Arran seems to take ages to get organized,

That's what we were told. Spouse could make a killing just doing odd jobs
there ... he installed and external power point on our friends' house, they
were going to have to wait for six months.

Mary