Old 05-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Mary Fisher

Default "Why not eat insects?" - was Which tree and where?

And why not?

Because it would remind me of school dinners onion soup ;-)

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

I think it was probably meant to be stew. We certainly didn't have three
courses!

Ah. Are you sure it wasn't worm stew?

You're much younger than me so won't have experienced school meals during
the war. We often had porage for pudding. It was similar to the mashed
potato in that it had lumps of cardboard in it. But we were always hungry

Mary
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Mary Fisher

And why not?

Because it would remind me of school dinners onion soup ;-)

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

Well, lass, to as young and innocent as you, maybe. But to someone
of my era and background, not quite!

Er - Nick I suspect that you have the wrong impression of my era (pre war)
and my background (from a labourer's family)!

And I'm certainly not innocent!

At the other end of the scale from posh, soup is traditionally used
for the following purposes:

snip

I know all that - and I still do it but to better effect than was possible
In Those Days.

To this day, I can remember those soups. Actually, I didn't mind them
much, though I wasn't keen on almost unflavoured flour paste, but posh
they weren't!

No - but it would have been posh to have had soup as a first course, as Kay
understood.

Actually our wartime school meals were in some ways better than some of the
ones at home, there was always meat. My mother made stews with cowheel. But
somehow she always managed a roast on Sundays. And we ate a lot of rabbit
stew, my brother and I fought over the tongue and brains so much that she
took to cutting the head in half.

Oh! Sorry, this isn't the right ng is it! thought I was on f+d for a few
minutes ...

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Tim Tyler writes

Check out Zack's Bug-Feasting Page: http://eat.bees.net/

Warning: lots of photos of human bug-eaters having lunch.

I had a quick look for slug related recipes just now, and found the
following site. http://bertc.com/recipes.htm

Back onto gardening, well, sort of - there's a flock of around 20
pigeons winging around above my few kale plants. Recipes for pigeon
stuffed with kale anybody?
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Back onto gardening, well, sort of - there's a flock of around 20
pigeons winging around above my few kale plants. Recipes for pigeon
stuffed with kale anybody?

I'll take them off your hands - I love pigeon.

A pigeon once fell in front of a car. I picked it up, it was still alive. I
wanted it for the pot. Then I saw it was ringed - a young racing pigeon. So
we were unlucky that time :-(

Susie - where in Arran are you?

Mary

Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

And why not?

Because it would remind me of school dinners onion soup ;-)

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

I think it was probably meant to be stew. We certainly didn't have three
courses!

Ah. Are you sure it wasn't worm stew?

No - not entirely sure

You're much younger than me so won't have experienced school meals during
the war. We often had porage for pudding. It was similar to the mashed
potato in that it had lumps of cardboard in it. But we were always hungry

I can remember a guide camp when the 'cook patrol' were unwise enough to
prepare porridge followed by scrambled egg. We think they served them in
the wrong order, but we weren't entirely sure.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

I think it was probably meant to be stew. We certainly didn't have three
courses!

In this context, tThe purpose of soup as a first course is to fill you up
with something that costs almost nothing to make.

Like Yorkshire pudding ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-04-2003, 06:44 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Susie - where in Arran are you?

We're staying in a rented house, not far from the mustard factory in
Lamlash, and we're going to be building our own home at Shiskine during
the course of this year. IIRC you know Arran pretty well. At the
moment the wild salmon berry (cloudberry?) is in full flower - the
bright pink blooms are stunning, pity it's such an invasive weed here.
I wonder if , if it is indeed cloudberry, the same cloudberry as the
Scandinavians use in their cookery. Perhaps it was brought here as a
commercial crop, and then escaped.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

I can remember a guide camp when the 'cook patrol' were unwise enough to
prepare porridge followed by scrambled egg. We think they served them in
the wrong order, but we weren't entirely sure.

LOL!

I gave up while in the Brownies, all those silly games running over
outstretched legs ... and I couldn't understand why you got badges for doing
everyday things like turning the heel of a sock!

I still have some and was pleased to see that 'thrift' was rpresented by a
skep (straw beehive).

Mary
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Susie - where in Arran are you?

We're staying in a rented house, not far from the mustard factory in
Lamlash, and we're going to be building our own home at Shiskine during
the course of this year. IIRC you know Arran pretty well. At the
moment the wild salmon berry (cloudberry?) is in full flower - the
bright pink blooms are stunning, pity it's such an invasive weed here.
I wonder if , if it is indeed cloudberry, the same cloudberry as the
Scandinavians use in their cookery. Perhaps it was brought here as a
commercial crop, and then escaped.

When you're settled we'll come and see you. Let me know.

Mary

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

In this context, tThe purpose of soup as a first course is to fill you up
with something that costs almost nothing to make.

Like Yorkshire pudding ;-)

I was going to say that! But I didn't because Nick might have said that it
needs an egg so could come under the heading of a luxury food rather than
soup made with onion skins and woody parsnips!

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-04-2003, 10:08 PM
ned

Mary Fisher wrote:
I've eaten insects both knowingly and unknowingly but I know a
ten year old girl who cooked and ate (with relish - not the sauce
type) a dish of earthworms. She was one of several military
family children who were learning about survival.

And why not?

Because it would remind me of school dinners onion soup ;-)

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

As I recall it would have been 'posh' if each course was served on a
new plate.
Today, I would kill for a plate of Grannies 'left overs soup'.
What she could do with split peas and lentils ...... !

Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

When you're settled we'll come and see you. Let me know.

Everything on Arran seems to take ages to get organized, but the builder
says that we *should* be in the new house before Christmas. I'll let
you know. Look forward to meeting you.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

I gave up while in the Brownies, all those silly games running over
outstretched legs ... and I couldn't understand why you got badges for doing
everyday things like turning the heel of a sock!

I got as far as Rangers - it was dreadful in those days! - Make up,
flower arranging!! ... ISTR this was the 'design for living' component
of the Duke of Ed award in those days.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

In this context, tThe purpose of soup as a first course is to fill you up
with something that costs almost nothing to make.

Like Yorkshire pudding ;-)

I was going to say that! But I didn't because Nick might have said that it
needs an egg so could come under the heading of a luxury food rather than
soup made with onion skins and woody parsnips!

I dunno! - the egg would have come from your own chickens, whereas you
probably had to buy the flour.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , SusieThompson
writes
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Susie - where in Arran are you?

We're staying in a rented house, not far from the mustard factory in
Lamlash, and we're going to be building our own home at Shiskine during
the course of this year. IIRC you know Arran pretty well. At the
moment the wild salmon berry (cloudberry?) is in full flower - the
bright pink blooms are stunning, pity it's such an invasive weed here.
I wonder if , if it is indeed cloudberry, the same cloudberry as the
Scandinavians use in their cookery. Perhaps it was brought here as a
commercial crop, and then escaped.

Is this Rubus arcticus? (not cloudberry - R Chamaemorus, which has white
flowers)? Vera brought some over to the urg meet a couple of years back
- mine is just showing its leaves.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: