Old 01-03-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Default Lidl Gardening week

"Martin" wrote in message
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060302.index

Hee hee! I managed to beat the rush. As I wasn't sure of the opening time,
on tomorrow morning, I went over to my local Lidl at lunchtime today just to
find out.

They were putting the goodies out just as I arrived! I don't have to queue
in the morning!

As you'd expect some of it is junk (especially the plastic cold frames) but
fine to get a quick start if you haven't already got that sort of stuff in
your possession. Some of it is superb considering the price. I got a
stainless steel fork (£7.99 or £7.49 - I don't remember which) with wood
tee-handle. If it lasts a few years on the allotment I'll be more than happy
with it. The handle's a bit rough but it'll soon wear in if I remember to
keep using the rigger gloves. I also picked up a rake and a hoe I'm sure
I'll get good value for money from.

Even better - I got to the allotment and discovered three rows of potatoes
the previous tenant forgot to harvest. I'll have those dug up at the
weekend!

If you're interested it's the branch near Kitts Green, Birmingham. They're
expecting another big delivery tomorrow.

--
Crazy Dog
(Playing happily with new toys. Lost interest in the boxes already)

Old 01-03-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Crazy Dog wrote:
[...]
the price. I got a stainless steel fork (£7.99 or £7.49 - I don't
remember which) with wood tee-handle. If it lasts a few years on the
allotment I'll be more than happy with it. The handle's a bit rough
but it'll soon wear in if I remember to keep using the rigger gloves.

[...]

You'll probably come to find that gloves are no fun when gardening,
except when doing stuff that fights back, of course. IMO, you did well
to choose wooden handles as long as the balance is right; though s-s
blades are often a bit heavy, and a sod to sharpen up when they
eventually get blunt. At risk of stating the obvious, it's very well
worth spending a little time sandpapering wooden handles to as fine a
finish as the timber allows. Then a wipe with a little linseed oil every
so often should mean your grandchildren will bless your memory.
DAISNAID!

--
Mike.