Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Jonathan

Default Lidl Gardening Bargains

Did anyone manage to get the Lidl garden bargains?

I got lucky this time, and, even by lunchtime, managed to get what I wanted.
But only just. There was one chap, who I've seen at Lidl before, with no
less that 18 of the polytunnels in his basket.
He really didn't look the type to be planting fruit and veg - no doubt it'll
end up on a market stall 2 hours later for £7.
I couldn't find any more, but the manager helped me find the two I wanted
which had slipped down behind the racking.

I'm 100% certain I'm going to hear the "free market economy" thing, but if
other stores can impose "fair quantity" limits, why not Lidl?

Bottom line is, the quality of the spade, rake, pruner and gloves seems
quite solid, and at least it's not made in a sweatshop in a brutal communist
regime, which is always the danger with cheap tools these days.

(I'm ignoring the current Lidl thread in uk.rec.gardening cos it seems to be
100% trolling)

Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Crazy Dog

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

Luckily I called in on my local branch, at lunchtime the day before the
gardening stuff was due to be available, to find out their opening times. It
was already being put out on display and I managed to get almost everything
I wanted without having to queue.

I'm very pleased with the fork, rake and hoe. The cold frames are a bit
tacky but they'll do the job for a year or two.

--
Crazy Dog
(Short of storage space so my car is now a shed)

Old 03-03-2006, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Jonathan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jonathan wrote:
Bottom line is, the quality of the spade, rake, pruner and gloves seems
quite solid, and at least it's not made in a sweatshop in a brutal
communist
regime, which is always the danger with cheap tools these days.

I've asked my friend to check on the secateur and get me one. For 2.99
I really had to see this. They've all gone!!!!!!! I really need to get
there. Have you seen if they do wheebarrows?

To answer this, and your other questions, sadly Lidl is primarily a food
store, and these specials are often "one-offs" or "WIGIG" offers.

And no, I've sever seen a wheelbarrow there. Here's what's coming up next
week:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060306.index
but the best thing is to sign up for the newsletter, and if there's
something you REALLY want, find out the opening times and be there 10
minutes before.
And don't be afraid to make a fuss is someone loads their trolley with all
of an item.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Crazy Dog

"Jonathan" wrote in message

don't be afraid to make a fuss is someone loads their trolley with all
of an item.

Nonsense. Is it their problem that you weren't ahead of them in the queue?
Learn your lesson and get out of bed earlier next time.

In a branch of Makro, about five years ago, I had to defend my trolley
against someone who insisted I was being greedy by taken two 28" TVs instead
of just one. I had managed to get the last two. Not my problem. The security
guards threw the guy having the tantrum out.

--
Crazy Dog
(One TV still working perfectly, the other needed a minor repair recently)

Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Crazy Dog" writes:

| In a branch of Makro, about five years ago, I had to defend my trolley
| against someone who insisted I was being greedy by taken two 28" TVs instead
| of just one. I had managed to get the last two. Not my problem. The security
| guards threw the guy having the tantrum out.

Have you sought help for your television addiction? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
loopy livernose

"Crazy Dog" wrote in message

"Jonathan" wrote in message

don't be afraid to make a fuss is someone loads their trolley with all
of an item.

Nonsense. Is it their problem that you weren't ahead of them in the queue?
Learn your lesson and get out of bed earlier next time.

this is slightly unfair in one regard..

As a disabled person I was Queuing from 8:40 am to get a cheap flat panel
monitor at aldi or lidl (it was a while ago).. The doors were duly opened
and I was at the front of the Queue.. However... because I cannot RUN to
the specials isle.. I missed out (they had 10 and two people bought the
lot).

Is it fair I was penalised for being disabled even though I was first person
in the Queue? Then people wonder why the disabled end up with chips on
their shoulders.

Loopy

I did learn my lesson though.. now I take my daughter with me.. she might
be late for school but she runs faster than most!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Crazy Dog

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Crazy Dog" writes:

| In a branch of Makro, about five years ago, I had to defend my trolley
| against someone who insisted I was being greedy by taken two 28" TVs

instead
| of just one. I had managed to get the last two. Not my problem. The

security
| guards threw the guy having the tantrum out.

Have you sought help for your television addiction? :-)

LOL. One for the training room over my shop, one for my flat!

--
Crazy Dog
(Admits to watching far too much TV, despite only having one now)

Old 03-03-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Crazy Dog

"loopy livernose" wrote in message

"Crazy Dog" wrote in message

"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

Grossly unfair, and very bad customer service. I'm sure the staff know when
something that is going to cause a stampede is up for sale. They should have
ensured you were treated fairly. I hope you complained to the manager.

As for your daughter - she probably learns more about the real world by
queuing at Lidl than she would at school.

--
Crazy Dog
(My mum's electric wheelchair could outrun the average jumble sale stampede)

Old 03-03-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:41:51 -0000, "Crazy Dog"
wrote:

In a branch of Makro, about five years ago, I had to defend my trolley
against someone who insisted I was being greedy by taken two 28" TVs

instead
of just one. I had managed to get the last two. Not my problem. The

security
guards threw the guy having the tantrum out.

Serves you right )

Were you trying to buy a TV at Makro, West Birmingham on 23rd March 2001 at
about 14:45? )

--
Crazy Dog

Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Emma

Jonathan wrote:
Did anyone manage to get the Lidl garden bargains?

There were lots left at the new Darlington branch when I went there on
Saturday. Perhaps the bargain hunters around here don't know about it
yet!

--
Emma - The Chocolate Monster
http://www.chocmonster.rules.it