Old 26-02-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Lidl Gardening week

In message , Martin
writes
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060302.index

We don't have a Lidl near us but several people on uk f+d speak very
highly of it. Must investigate nearest branch.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-02-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Martin
writes
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060302.index

We don't have a Lidl near us but several people on uk f+d speak very
highly of it. Must investigate nearest branch.

Very poor quality, products have fallen off the back of a lorry.
Carrots are so bright orange, you'd think someone's painted them. And I
totally refuse to buy a product that's started in the UK, been washed
in New Zealand, packed in Germany, labelled in Scotland and sold in
Devon. From there, it's sold to markets, and then ends up weeks later
in your corner shops or at Lidl. Buy local and eat fresh )

You cannot expect good quality garden spade at 2.99 and secateur at 99p
when you buy 2 tins of bake beans. If you like Milka chocolate, it's
cheap at 1.99 per bar - though they also sell ironing board at 2.99
next to it. I find the whole thing mad and cannot take this shop
seriously. They also sell bedsheets - 100% poly. Perhaps that's meant
to go on your car to protect it from frost but would perhaps use it on
my cabbages )

Old 26-02-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On 26 Feb 2006 07:31:44 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Martin
writes
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060302.index

We don't have a Lidl near us but several people on uk f+d speak very
highly of it. Must investigate nearest branch.

Very poor quality, products have fallen off the back of a lorry.

Not everything is poor quality.
In the Netherlands, their fruit juice is German and pure. Their beer
is German Reinheitverbod compliant and not the output of the local
chemical works.
We got a good quality pressure cooker from Lidl.
They don't have a big variety of things, except for some reason of
frankfurter sausages.
--
Martin

Their jams are great too and the frozen salmon portions........
You do have to be picky with the veg though.
Jenny

Old 27-02-2006, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:05:54 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

For years I was put off shopping in Lidl in NL, because of comments
about Lidl in UK.
There is a new Lidl opening in a local housing estate, locals have
complained to the council that the sort of people who shop in Lidl
will lower the tone of the place. A bit of a joke as Lidl are taking
over the premises of a failed C1000 supermarket.
-- Martin

There's a Lidl in a rather up market area near Rotterdam - comparable to say
Richmond near London.

The 'posh' ladies in their real fur coats go in there furtively :~))

Jenny

Old 27-02-2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Martin
writes
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...20060302.index

We don't have a Lidl near us but several people on uk f+d speak very
highly of it. Must investigate nearest branch.

Very poor quality, products have fallen off the back of a lorry.

Not everything is poor quality.
In the Netherlands, their fruit juice is German and pure. Their beer
is German Reinheitverbod compliant and not the output of the local
chemical works.
We got a good quality pressure cooker from Lidl.
They don't have a big variety of things, except for some reason of
frankfurter sausages.

We shop at one supermarket one week and Lidl the next. Their veg is
VERY good and cheap as is their meat.
Their tinned stuff is exceptionally good and cheap too.

Old 27-02-2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 02:51:57 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Maybe what they sell in NL is better than they sell in UK?

Ignore the misinformation by Puke.
What Lidl sell in the UK is usually at rockbottom prices and often
excellent quality, just a matter of picking and choosing.

Janet

100% in agreement with you.

Old 27-02-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Lidl is fine for a lot of things. It just sources from europe where
things a re cheaper than in the UK.

You just need to be a bit picky thats all.

It's great for things like cheap cleaning fluids etc , beer is good ,
(don't bother with the wine !!)

When they have the special weeks there are some real bargains. We
bought a basic rose arch which is fine and does what it says on the tin
and miles cheaper than anywere else.

I did buy a punnet of blueberries from there which I had to throw away
as I went to eat them and it was full of small flies (possibly fruit
flies)

Old 27-02-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:13:17 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

[...]
There's a Lidl in a rather up market area near Rotterdam -
comparable to say Richmond near London.

The 'posh' ladies in their real fur coats go in there furtively :~))

LOL
Probably the same posh "ladies" who buy their fur coats in the flea
markets in Leiden.

_Really_ posh ladies shop wherever they please, dressed in whatever they
please, and it wouldn't even occur to them to care who knew it.

--
Mike.

Old 27-02-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Not everything is poor quality.
In the Netherlands, their fruit juice is German and pure. Their beer
is German Reinheitverbod compliant and not the output of the local
chemical works.
We got a good quality pressure cooker from Lidl.
They don't have a big variety of things, except for some reason of
frankfurter sausages.

Their jams are great too and the frozen salmon portions........
You do have to be picky with the veg though.

HOOOOOOooo stop it! I'm starving now!! Is Lidl german? This is it -
this is why it's nice where you are, but not where we are. Ours, on
Seymour Grove, is weird and half empty and as I said, only the
chocolate is ok - the rest is really bizarre and I have no confidence
in the prices.

Old 27-02-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Ignore the misinformation by Puke

Here she goes again ... what an ugly troll )

Old 27-02-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Lidl is fine for a lot of things. It just sources from europe where
things a re cheaper than in the UK.
You just need to be a bit picky thats all.
It's great for things like cheap cleaning fluids etc , beer is good ,
(don't bother with the wine !!)
When they have the special weeks there are some real bargains. We
bought a basic rose arch which is fine and does what it says on the tin
and miles cheaper than anywere else.
I did buy a punnet of blueberries from there which I had to throw away
as I went to eat them and it was full of small flies (possibly fruit
flies)

100 % agree with you ;o)

In all honesty, I feel you must have to be a bit picky indeed. Also, I
must be fair, I have been there perhaps 3 times. My friends bought tons
of stuff, I didn't. But then again when I go to Ikea, it's the same. I
like lots of things but that's just that, they are 'things'.

I buy local, I want the local farms, the local butchers etc. to survive
those supermarket chains. I've made myself a promise. Also I have never
eaten tinned meat and I'm not going to start )

Old 27-02-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On 27 Feb 2006 06:14:18 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Not everything is poor quality.
In the Netherlands, their fruit juice is German and pure. Their beer
is German Reinheitverbod compliant and not the output of the local
chemical works.
We got a good quality pressure cooker from Lidl.
They don't have a big variety of things, except for some reason of
frankfurter sausages.

Their jams are great too and the frozen salmon portions........
You do have to be picky with the veg though.

HOOOOOOooo stop it! I'm starving now!! Is Lidl german? This is it -
this is why it's nice where you are, but not where we are. Ours, on
Seymour Grove, is weird and half empty and as I said, only the
chocolate is ok - the rest is really bizarre and I have no confidence
in the prices.

There is usually a queue at ours at 9.00
This week the veg is half price too !!!!!

Old 27-02-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Dave the exTrailer wrote:
There is usually a queue at ours at 9.00
This week the veg is half price too !!!!!

And ...? Do you know where those vegs are from? I'm not 'posh' and
you've agreed with Janet 100% that I'm 'puke'. Do you support Janet's
abuse?

I can do tough and don't let it bother me - but there's so much I can
take. Right now I've had it up to here. And please kind people don't
email me any further but speak your mind HERE and NOW.

Fed up with this now.

Old 27-02-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Ignore the misinformation by Puke.

AND YOU bully ugly woman, don't you think you're having enough from
Sheldon Harper at rural?!?!

It is now quite obvious that you like a bit of fighting don't you, a
bit of tormenting people, torturing them. But guess what, you've got
what you've deserved for a long time yesterday. What did that person
said about you? ...

"Women like that usually don't have much of a home life or friends of
any sort. She's a classic ball buster"

And what the other one replied ? ...

"Janet is roped, brought to ground, tied, and branded, but somehow she
still tries to make the case that something, anything, about her
opponent is wrong. Once your caught this way, Janet, the decent thing
to do is to agree you've been caught. Denial in such cases really
undoes whatever legitimacy you might have had. But then, that's a
logical error on your part, and you appear to lack anything resembling
logic"

And what other bad time our bully got at rural?! ...

"I made a mistake in thinking you were civilized. Generally my errors
are in giving folks more credit that is really due, as I did with you.
So that's not to say you're never right, often you are. My mistake was
probably one of assuming you could keep it up."

Well AMEN to this. You are a bully, it's quite clear. And I'm not the
only one to think this.

Old 27-02-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

Maybe what they sell in NL is better than they sell in UK?

Ignore the misinformation by Puke.
What Lidl sell in the UK is usually at rockbottom prices and often
excellent quality, just a matter of picking and choosing.

Indeed. Most non-food/seasonal Lidl items are loss-leaders to attract
customers in to buy food items.

I often see queues at opening time when my nearby branch has anything
particularly interesting. I've missed some very good bargains by not
keeping an eye on their web site.