Old 03-03-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Luxury of a septic tank!

As children [and since mine] we had a large house with a row of
five,outside, earth toilets in a 'Wendy house'. No we never sat side by
side but we did have our own seat ~~[quite hygienic] ours was lower than
those for the adults. It backed onto a small garden and the spoil, dug out
from the rear of the building, was spread in a running trench by the
gardener.
Second week in May, every year, produced a lovely crop of 'gift
wrapped' new potatoes!! Totally organic.
The Wendy house still stands but we do now have running water and the
frills.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Brian wrote:
As children [and since mine] we had a large house with a row of
five,outside, earth toilets in a 'Wendy house'. No we never sat side by
side but we did have our own seat ~~[quite hygienic] ours was lower than
those for the adults. It backed onto a small garden and the spoil, dug out
from the rear of the building, was spread in a running trench by the
gardener.

We have a "two-holer" at one corner of the veggie plot. Sadly it's been
without a roof for many years and the ivy is doing its worst. The stone
over the doorway collapsed last year

I'm planning to repair it and resurrect it as a toolshed though. At
least it will still be contributing to the garden in some small way.

James
Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/3/06 22:53, in article , "James
Fidell" wrote:

snip
We have a "two-holer" at one corner of the veggie plot. Sadly it's been
without a roof for many years and the ivy is doing its worst. The stone
over the doorway collapsed last year

I'm planning to repair it and resurrect it as a toolshed though. At
least it will still be contributing to the garden in some small way.

My last garden in Jersey had a dunny doing just that. It was the garden
shed. The 'seating area' had been covered over and I wasn't about to argue
with that arrangement, I can tell you, so I never investigated further. But
it was at least a two seater. Outside was a fig tree onto which I suspect
the night soil had been dumped at times though I can't be sure of that. It
was never very successful as to fruit, however! One of my earliest
childhood memories is of the ballet class I attended (and loathed) The
rather posh and grand loo was a Victoria and Albert and to this day I can
remember being outraged at being expected to share my more intimate moments
with some other little girl.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:36:54 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Septic tanks are luxury indeed, and so are taps after years of
fetching all water into the house with a bucket. I still get a thrill
from turning on taps. Especially the hot one.

Janet

Bucket ?
Luxury

Us kids had to bring the water into the house in our hands