Old 15-03-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Is there ANYTHING....

Holly, in France wrote:
Basket making, you must be joking! I am helping run a building business,
looking after the house, the gite, four children, two horses, a dog, a
swimming pool, a garden and a polytunnel, cutting a couple of acres of
grass and trying to keep the rest of the place in some sort of order!
Maybe when I retire :-)

mince - c'est foutu pour mon armagnac ... ;o)

I took all of your info on - and keep the view of the lake, erosion
etc. so I've got a couple of ideas: why not introduce with your already
there bramble, another bramble but a nice one, rubus biflorus, with
white stems. I've never seen it at home growing, by our stream (Notre
Dame de Sanillac) we just left the leaves and bracken do their things,
and the brambles too.

For the willow ... there's many, but either you coppice/prune, or you
leave it to grow and the smaller I thought of is the Salix integra
Hakuro nishiki. 4 metres though, but really lovely shape. Don't know if
you'd like that ... I don't like the weeping type willow that you find
in everywhere these days. They look ridiculous. Both my neighbours (old
ladies) bought one - both died and they both came running to me!! The
grafting was terrible, the pruning far too complicated, tutu shaped
silly little trees ... ;o)

Old 15-03-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH

Nettles are used as a fungicide in teas or after cutting and drying for
storage in fermented liquids along with garlic cloves...

Old 15-03-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH

Old 15-03-2006, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH

If you have so many nettles you could sell them after cutting and
drying to a local flower shop they seem to be used both as a fertiliser
and a fungicide (in mixtures with other plants or in teas).