Old 18-03-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default Celandine

how can I get rid of this from my veg patch? How does it spread? And is it
ever used as a green manure? There is so much of it growing that I can't
believe that it has got there naturally.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 18-03-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graculus

"H Ryder" wrote in message
how can I get rid of this from my veg patch? How does it spread? And is it
ever used as a green manure? There is so much of it growing that I can't
believe that it has got there naturally.

Evil stuff (IMO), gets everywhere. When I moved to my current house, the
garden was overrun with it. The only way I've found is to dig it out very
carefully, being sure not to lose any of those root nodules. Every one
dropped then grows again next year. I wouldn't try to compost those roots -
they'll just grow in the rich compost around them! The annual battle of
attrition is about to begin, as it rears its ugly head again.

Old 18-03-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"H Ryder" wrote in message
how can I get rid of this from my veg patch? How does it spread? And is it
ever used as a green manure? There is so much of it growing that I can't
believe that it has got there naturally.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Lesser Celandine seems to thrive in wet/damp soil. I would not compost it or
use it as a green manure as you would just spread it even more widely.
It's making an appearance here with a vengeance but, at the risk of getting
my head kicked in, I think it's quite pretty in flower beds.
I do appreciate it will be more of a pest on a veg plot.
By the time everything else is growing properly the celandine has vanished
and I just remove any surface nodules.
You need to dig deep to get it out.You can spread table salt on the leaves
which is absorbed very quickly and seems to be quite effective. Glyphosate
is even more effective.

Old 18-03-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Lesser Celandine seems to thrive in wet/damp soil. I would not compost it or
use it as a green manure as you would just spread it even more widely.
It's making an appearance here with a vengeance but, at the risk of getting
my head kicked in, I think it's quite pretty in flower beds.
I do appreciate it will be more of a pest on a veg plot.

Oh Dear, I`m not the only one who loves it am I ?

kate
Old 19-03-2006, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

Lesser Celandine seems to thrive in wet/damp soil. I would not compost it or
use it as a green manure as you would just spread it even more widely.
It's making an appearance here with a vengeance but, at the risk of getting
my head kicked in, I think it's quite pretty in flower beds.
I do appreciate it will be more of a pest on a veg plot.

Oh Dear, I`m not the only one who loves it am I ?
kate

No!
I love it too. It's one of the first signs that spring is really here. It can be
invasive but is so easy to pull up and dispose of.
Jenny

Old 19-03-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I love it too.

it's not that I don't think that it is pretty in its place, it is just that
it is completely covering my veg patch and my poor seedlings do not stand a
chance of reaching day light through it

Old 19-03-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

I love it too.

it's not that I don't think that it is pretty in its place, it is just that
it is completely covering my veg patch and my poor seedlings do not stand a
chance of reaching day light through it

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

I can appreciate your problems :-)
Old 19-03-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Kate Morgan" wrote

Lesser Celandine seems to thrive in wet/damp soil. I would not compost it
or
use it as a green manure as you would just spread it even more widely.
It's making an appearance here with a vengeance but, at the risk of
getting
my head kicked in, I think it's quite pretty in flower beds.
I do appreciate it will be more of a pest on a veg plot.

Oh Dear, I`m not the only one who loves it am I ?

No you certainly are not. I planted some in my garden and it died!
So not invasive for me, perhaps it's due to being in the warm dry part of
the UK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan writes

Lesser Celandine seems to thrive in wet/damp soil. I would not compost it or
use it as a green manure as you would just spread it even more widely.
It's making an appearance here with a vengeance but, at the risk of getting
my head kicked in, I think it's quite pretty in flower beds.
I do appreciate it will be more of a pest on a veg plot.

Oh Dear, I`m not the only one who loves it am I ?

No, I love it too - one of my earliest favourites.
--
Kay
Old 19-03-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

H Ryder writes
I love it too.

it's not that I don't think that it is pretty in its place, it is just that
it is completely covering my veg patch and my poor seedlings do not stand a
chance of reaching day light through it

!!!!
You are sowing outside already!!?

--
Kay

Old 19-03-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

You are sowing outside already!!?

under cloches but am new to veg growing so it may all come to nothing!

Old 19-03-2006, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

H Ryder writes
You are sowing outside already!!?

under cloches but am new to veg growing so it may all come to nothing!

You're a lot warmer than we are. Very few signs of life here (Yorkshire)
yet. And I'm staying indoors until it gets a bit warmer!
--
Kay
Old 20-03-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

K wrote:
You're a lot warmer than we are. Very few signs of life here (Yorkshire)
yet. And I'm staying indoors until it gets a bit warmer!

I was in Ambsay yesterday, 2 miles from Skipton. Got frozen to the
bones I did, inspecting my friend's new garden but nothing couldn't
have taken me away from it (and what a place - I am going to have a lot
to do, suggest and research). All is still pretty dormant there, beside
the crocus and the daffs poking their heads. Found some dwarf daffs all
out but sheltered along a wall. I made it to the top of the hill, MC
Crag, and to the lake, and only me and the birds were active ... and
the kids on the outdoor trampoline )

Old 20-03-2006, 09:58 PM
MaC MaC is offline
Registered User

You could try looking on the roots as edibles :-)
Bushcrafters dig them up and roast them in the ashes of the fire. The skins just slough off and the roots are quite tasty little morsels.
Cooking destroys the toxins which are pretty low level anyway.
See this link
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nculus+ficaria
Cheers,
MaC