Old 21-03-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default question about leveling a lawn

"p.k." wrote in message
drazen wrote:
I have a Static caravan with a patch of grass about 20 feet by 50, but
its quite uneven in places. i can't dig it (park rules) and i don't
think i'd be allowed to roll it.
What i thought of doing was to cut the grass as short as possable and
then fill in the dips with top soil, then re-seed it.
The dips rage between 1" and 4" and maybe 4-5feet in diameter. This
would cover about 20% of the lawn.
my question is:- whold this work? would the new seed take and would
the covered grass die?

sounds a bit weird, but i don't want to mess up the lawn i have.

That would work, but better is to imagine one of your cicrualr dips, cut
with an edging spade toe right angle diameters.

Peel back the turk carefully, making other relieving cuts as necessary.

Fill in below with a fine topsoil to make a slight dome which will settel

nearer to level, then next year finish the job by following your original
plan.

so essentially building up the soil level below the turf? I have tried that
on the odd occasion but didn't make a slight dome which will explain the
slight depression. It worked ok for me on the limited times I tried it. I
have also filled in depressions with soil and seed over existing turf and it
also worked fairly well. The key of course is to get the soil for the in
fill fairly level. Depending on how much soil you use to top dress the
depressions some of the grass form underneath may still come through but
that should not be a problem.

rob

Old 22-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazen
I have a Static caravan with a patch of grass about 20 feet by 50, but its quite uneven in places. i can't dig it (park rules) and i don't think i'd be allowed to roll it.
What i thought of doing was to cut the grass as short as possable and then fill in the dips with top soil, then re-seed it.
The dips rage between 1" and 4" and maybe 4-5feet in diameter. This would cover about 20% of the lawn.
my question is:- whold this work? would the new seed take and would the covered grass die?

sounds a bit weird, but i don't want to mess up the lawn i have.

Sorry, i posted this on the wrong forum
Old 22-03-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

drazen wrote:
I have a Static caravan with a patch of grass about 20 feet by 50, but
its quite uneven in places. i can't dig it (park rules) and i don't
think i'd be allowed to roll it.
What i thought of doing was to cut the grass as short as possable and
then fill in the dips with top soil, then re-seed it.
The dips rage between 1" and 4" and maybe 4-5feet in diameter. This
would cover about 20% of the lawn.
my question is:- whold this work? would the new seed take and would
the covered grass die?

sounds a bit weird, but i don't want to mess up the lawn i have.

That would work, but better is to imagine one of your cicrualr dips, cut
with an edging spade toe right angle diameters.

Peel back the turk carefully, making other relieving cuts as necessary.

Fill in below with a fine topsoil to make a slight dome which will settel to
nearer to level, then next year finish the job by following your original
plan.

pk

Leveling a wavy lawn 1D10T Lawns 4 30-05-2009 04:34 AM
Labor for Lawn Leveling Zzyzx Texas 6 03-08-2006 12:03 PM
problem leveling my lawn drazen Lawns 1 26-03-2006 03:46 PM
Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM
Leveling lawn? William W. Plummer Lawns 8 29-06-2004 01:03 PM