Old 22-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered User

Default need plant suggestion

I am looking for plant suggestions. I have a brick area of a house to plant against. The area is a bit narrow-maybe 2 feet wide, and I don't want anything to grow over 3 or so feet tall. The area is bordered on one side by an under-planted area that includes some lavender and a standard rose--the oppposite end has a very pretty shrub I'd like to keep though I am not sure what it is with its large vareigated leaves. The center of the area is planted with a young (short) upright conifer of some kind.

I had thought originally of putting in 4 standard roses underplanted with nepeta--but not sure if that conifer would pose a problem. I am very open to ideas however!

Thank you!!
Tracy
Old 23-03-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"agileflower" wrote to URG via Gardenbanter, not direct...

I am looking for plant suggestions. I have a brick area of a house to
plant against. The area is a bit narrow-maybe 2 feet wide, and I don't
want anything to grow over 3 or so feet tall. The area is bordered on
one side by an under-planted area that includes some lavender and a
standard rose--the oppposite end has a very pretty shrub I'd like to
keep though I am not sure what it is with its large vareigated leaves.
The center of the area is planted with a young (short) upright conifer
of some kind.

I had thought originally of putting in 4 standard roses underplanted
with nepeta--but not sure if that conifer would pose a problem. I am
very open to ideas however!

Which way does the wall face?
Does it get much sun?
Is it a dry area?
What's the soil like, sandy, clay.....?
Roughly where in the UK are you?

regards
Bob

Old 23-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
"agileflower" wrote to URG via Gardenbanter, not direct...

Which way does the wall face?
Does it get much sun?
Is it a dry area?
What's the soil like, sandy, clay.....?
Roughly where in the UK are you?

regards
Bob
That will teach me to write posts while chasing my toddler around! Sorry--doh.
I am in north London. The wall faces E/SE. The soil, well-- clay soil mixed with what seems like building rubble (!) It gets a reasonable amount of late morning to early afternoon sun....

Having moved here from lush California, I can't quite get used to gardening here. Before I could easily follow the rule 'stick it in the ground and it will grow'

thanks!!
Old 24-03-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"agileflower" replied after
Bob Hobden asked
Which way does the wall face?
Does it get much sun?
Is it a dry area?
What's the soil like, sandy, clay.....?
Roughly where in the UK are you?

That will teach me to write posts while chasing my toddler around!
Sorry--doh.
I am in north London. The wall faces E/SE. The soil, well-- clay soil
mixed with what seems like building rubble (!) It gets a reasonable
amount of late morning to early afternoon sun....

Having moved here from lush California, I can't quite get used to
gardening here. Before I could easily follow the rule 'stick it in the
ground and it will grow'

The small conifer in the middle should not cause a problem except they don't
stay small, even the so called dwarf ones get too large eventually. You
could move it somewhere else.
Your suggestion of Standard Roses (slightly over 3ft tall!) underplanted
sounds OK but I would incorporate some compost or well rotted manure first.
Roses like a rich soil.
Personally if I wanted that sort of effect I'd use the hardy Hibiscus and
keep them pruned well.
You could try a herbaceous border with lower growing plants and in that
position I would think some of the more tender plants could survive the
winter, Penstemons, Osteospermums etc. and plants like Asphodeline lutea and
Belamcanda.

I bet there are plants growing here that couldn't survive in Ca, it's just
different, that's all.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
Personally if I wanted that sort of effect I'd use the hardy Hibiscus and
keep them pruned well.
I really love hibiscus--I think I will try that. It will also keep the garden from feeling too 'formal' as a line of standard roses might....Thank you for your suggestions!

I am wondering about my Heuchera. They didn't seem to winter well--although they have leaves, they are mostly dead--will they revive properly during the spring? Or should I replace them? My alchemilla mollis' are starting to sprout new leaves finally, thank goodness!

Tracy