Old 27-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered User

Question Arum Lilies

Hi

does anybody have any advice on sowing Arum Lilie bulbs, it wouild be much appreciated as last year my results were appaling in fact they completely failed. I'm told they can be planted in the Spring, how deep should they be and am I right in saying that they like a wet soil if not waterlogged

many thanks

Simon
Old 28-03-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Arum Lilies

Simon
Zantedeschia bulbs like a moist soil.
I use Z. aethiopica (arum lilly) as a marginal pond plant but they can
apparently be planted to a depth of 12 in of water. It has a rhizome
rather than a bulb.
I plant mine in pond baskets, so depth is fairly shallow - 4-5in. It
is a borderline hardy plant. At the moment, the leaves are about 5in
in length, sat in a pot on the cobble edge in my wildlife pond.
There are other Zantedeschias that grow in moist soil, however most of
those are frost tender.
I guess the question to ask, is what variety are you trying to grow?
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 28-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered User

Hi Clifford
thanks for the reply, I'm not too far away from you actually, North Leverton the other side of Retford from you. All I can tell you as to what variety they are is that they are quite a small rhizome 1" - 1 1/2" there are four varieties/colours which are described as Annexe, Chopin, Garnet Glow and Southern Light. I have heard before that people grow them in ponds, unfortunately a pond is something I don't have (nor likely to, my wife doesn't like them) so I was hoping to grow them in wet soil

thanks alot Clifford

Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_gardener
Simon
Zantedeschia bulbs like a moist soil.
I use Z. aethiopica (arum lilly) as a marginal pond plant but they can
apparently be planted to a depth of 12 in of water. It has a rhizome
rather than a bulb.
I plant mine in pond baskets, so depth is fairly shallow - 4-5in. It
is a borderline hardy plant. At the moment, the leaves are about 5in
in length, sat in a pot on the cobble edge in my wildlife pond.
There are other Zantedeschias that grow in moist soil, however most of
those are frost tender.
I guess the question to ask, is what variety are you trying to grow?
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Arum Lilies Bill Falconer United Kingdom 0 07-04-2006 03:37 PM
Arum Lily (Black pearl) Avril United Kingdom 7 21-07-2003 04:42 AM
Arum lily Bel Ponds 2 26-04-2003 03:56 PM
Frost on Arum Lily David United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 05:44 PM
Arum Italicum k2 Gardening 2 30-03-2003 08:08 PM