Old 30-03-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

Default Confused

Hi Can you please help me? I have just taken delivery of 2 items from ebay,
I have just looked them up as I am a newbie to gardening and I see
contradictory information

Is the amelanchier (snowy mespilus) a tree or a shrub? Some places say its
a tree where others say its a shrub, they also have different height given;
ranging from 90cm to 10 metres!

Help! How big will this get?

Thanks

--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old 30-03-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jackie Brown writes
Hi Can you please help me? I have just taken delivery of 2 items from ebay,
I have just looked them up as I am a newbie to gardening and I see
contradictory information

Is the amelanchier (snowy mespilus) a tree or a shrub? Some places say its
a tree where others say its a shrub, they also have different height given;
ranging from 90cm to 10 metres!

There isn't a clear dividing line between trees and shrubs. In theory,
trees have a single trunk, and shrubs have several stems coming from
ground level. But in practice quite a few things (hazel, for example0
sit on the boundary, perhaps having a single trunk but branching only a
few inches above the ground. Amelanchier can grow as a single trunk but
more usually has several branches from low down.

As to size, my 14-year old is about 10ft. I'd have said about 3-4m - I'd
be surprised if they got to 10.

Congratulations, though - it's a lovely shrub, with good foliage,
flowers and fruit.
--
Kay
Old 31-03-2006, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi Can you please help me? I have just taken delivery of 2 items from
ebay, I have just looked them up as I am a newbie to gardening and I
see contradictory information

Is the amelanchier (snowy mespilus) a tree or a shrub? Some places
say its a tree where others say its a shrub, they also have different
height given; ranging from 90cm to 10 metres!

Help! How big will this get?

There are two forms;

A.lamarkii - shrubby multi-stemmed

A.canadensis - tree form

I've seen disputes as to whether the difference is real or a training issue.

If you have a single stemmed thing branching out at 1m plus, it is the tree
form:

If you have a plant branching out @ 30/50cm with possibly other stems as
well, it is the shrubby form

Bothe get to 6/7m height & spread: the tree as a canopy with a single trunk@
ground level; the shrub as a forest of stems @ ground level.

pk

Old 31-03-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Jackie Brown" wrote in message
news
Hi Can you please help me? I have just taken delivery of 2 items from
ebay,
I have just looked them up as I am a newbie to gardening and I see
contradictory information

Is the amelanchier (snowy mespilus) a tree or a shrub? Some places say its
a tree where others say its a shrub, they also have different height

given;
ranging from 90cm to 10 metres!

Help! How big will this get?

Thanks

--
*Jackie*

Mine has several trunks like a shrub but is 20 feet high like a tree and I
have to use a chain saw when I want to prune it! they also sucker a lot when
young. Should be in flower soon so I will probably forgive it its crimes
again!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks very much for all your advise - I shall look forward to seeing it
establish over the years

--

confused novice Unregistered Bamboo 4 29-04-2003 05:09 PM
Confused about CO2 Kit "Sizes" Iain Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
Confused about Predicting Spring MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 10 09-02-2003 04:05 PM
For Radika and whoever else was confused by attbi's mess... Allegra Roses 2 05-02-2003 11:36 PM
Soil pH...I am totally confused jo United Kingdom 5 24-11-2002 11:12 PM