Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default growing peppers

for the first time this year I am trying red peppers in the green house,
main questions are-
should I stagger the sowing of seeds to provide a crop over several weeks,
or do the plants keep reproducing peppers throughout the summer?
will the plants be ok in growbags, not sure how tall they will grow?

paul.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Paul" wrote in message
for the first time this year I am trying red peppers in the green house,
main questions are-
should I stagger the sowing of seeds to provide a crop over several weeks,
or do the plants keep reproducing peppers throughout the summer?
will the plants be ok in growbags, not sure how tall they will grow?

paul.

Sow them all at once. They crop in succession, sort-of.
They all start off green, and take another 3 or 4 weeks to
colour up - going through an intermediate grey/brown stage.

If you pick some at the green stage that will bring the others on.
The geeen are just as palatable only slightly less sweet to the
taste, and reputedly with less vitamin C

The only limitation on the cropping period is temperature and
maybe light levels. The leaves start deteriorating as the
temperature drops and the fruit don't increase in size
although they will continue to change colour. It's then a
toss up between waiting for them to change colour, and getting
hit by mildew as moisture condenses on the fruits overnight.
That and attacks from earwigs and other insects.

Capsicums are perennials and if you had the facilities,
heat and light, you could crop them all year round.
You can even train them up strings. In the UK with
no artificial lighting, about 3 feet is probably the
most you can expect.

A flower stalk will grow every time the stem divides -
after about the fourth divison from planting. Which each
resulting sub-stem will continue to do. That's how they grow.
Elementary maths shows that the plant can't support every
flower, so many flower stems will drop off quite naturally.
Mist the flowers with a fine spray of warm water if the
humidity is low.

Sliced caps are a doddle for freezing, as nothing is lost
by way of taste at all, certainly not if used for cooking
to add flavour and colour.

michael adams

Old 02-04-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Paul" wrote in message
for the first time this year I am trying red peppers in the green
house, main questions are-
should I stagger the sowing of seeds to provide a crop over several
weeks, or do the plants keep reproducing peppers throughout the
summer?
will the plants be ok in growbags, not sure how tall they will grow?

If you've not yet sown them, they'll be a late summer/autumn crop and
will go on until the cold short days stop them. No need for staggered
sowings. You will have green peppers as well as red ones - Green
peppers are just unripe ones. OK in growbags but the watering and
feeding is easier to manage in the greenhouse border. Usually 1metre
high x 50/60cm wide - depends how you look after them

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message
for the first time this year I am trying red peppers in the green house,
main questions are-
should I stagger the sowing of seeds to provide a crop over several
weeks, or do the plants keep reproducing peppers throughout the summer?
will the plants be ok in growbags, not sure how tall they will grow?

If you've not yet sown them, they'll be a late summer/autumn crop and will
go on until the cold short days stop them. No need for staggered sowings.
You will have green peppers as well as red ones - Green peppers are just
unripe ones. OK in growbags but the watering and feeding is easier to
manage in the greenhouse border. Usually 1metre high x 50/60cm wide -
depends how you look after them

I've got about 20 seedlings about 4-5 inches high planted about 6 weeks ago.
I will have to use growbags as the greenhouse has a solid floor, I will
probably keep the best 6 plants and give the rest away, need space for some
tomatoes.

paul.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:11:46 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:

for the first time this year I am trying red peppers in the green house,
main questions are-
should I stagger the sowing of seeds to provide a crop over several weeks,
or do the plants keep reproducing peppers throughout the summer?
will the plants be ok in growbags, not sure how tall they will grow?

Peppers will not grow as tall as tomatos so I normally grow them in
pots which I have on the permament staging on one saide of the
greenhouse while I keep growbags on the ground for toms as they need
the height.