Old 03-04-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum)

Has anyone got experience of growing this? I want it for a north facing
front garden which gets some sun and is on clay. How big do they get? They
seem quite expensive so wanted o check first

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

H Ryder wrote:
Has anyone got experience of growing this? I want it for a north facing
front garden which gets some sun and is on clay. How big do they get? They
seem quite expensive so wanted o check first

Apparently, they can get to 30' but goodness knows how long that
takes! They like deep, fertile soil and full sun, so your 'some sun'
and clay probably won't hack it. ;-(
My own experience of these has been disappointing, I must admit, so I'm
probably a bit biased but I think they're more 'talk' than 'action', if
you see what I mean!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

H Ryder wrote:
Has anyone got experience of growing this? I want it for a north facing
front garden which gets some sun and is on clay. How big do they get? They
seem quite expensive so wanted o check first

Apparently, they can get to 30' but goodness knows how long that
takes!

Less than 25 years to get to about 20ft from my father's experience.
They tend to lean and spread with low branches, so have quite a large
'footprint' - not the sort of tree which you walk around under.

They like deep, fertile soil and full sun, so your 'some sun'
and clay probably won't hack it. ;-(

My father's was in an orchard on clay, though probably with more sun
than your north facing garden will get.

--
Kay

Germinating Judas tree seeds [email protected] United Kingdom 1 15-08-2016 05:22 PM
Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Judas tree Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 03-04-2006 10:44 PM
Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' Meegs United Kingdom 1 31-05-2005 09:35 PM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM