Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tony Carnell

Default Will Raspberry canes re-grow?

Hi all,

A quick question for those in the know.

I am clearing an area of ground to build a raised deck seating area
through which I intend to plant a small tree.

In the patch of ground were some old raspberry canes, which I've dug out
as well as possible, but inevitably there are bound to be traces of
roots left in the ground.

Will these roots re-grow and potentially produce canes that would
re-surface under the deck?

I'll be placing down weed-suppressant matting and a good layer of gravel
under the deck, but if the canes do re-grow would this be enough to stop
them?

Thanks for all and any replies.

Tony.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Tony Carnell" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all,

A quick question for those in the know.

I am clearing an area of ground to build a raised deck seating area
through which I intend to plant a small tree.

In the patch of ground were some old raspberry canes, which I've dug out
as well as possible, but inevitably there are bound to be traces of roots
left in the ground.

Will these roots re-grow and potentially produce canes that would
re-surface under the deck?

I'll be placing down weed-suppressant matting and a good layer of gravel
under the deck, but if the canes do re-grow would this be enough to stop
them?

Thanks for all and any replies.

Tony.

I would advise putting weedkiller down as well, something longer term like
pathclear.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-04-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Tony Carnell" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]
I am clearing an area of ground to build a raised deck seating area
through which I intend to plant a small tree.

[...]

Will these roots re-grow and potentially produce canes that would
re-surface under the deck?

[...]

I would advise putting weedkiller down as well, something longer term
like pathclear.

I don't think raspberries will regow from the roots once the crown's
been taken out. Luckily, decking doesn't regrow once one's ripped out
the decaying remains after a few years.

--
Mike.

Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived? Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 10:51 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM