Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Spuds in Compost

Can whole potatoes be added to a compost heap or do they have to be chopped
up? Can they be added at all?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Mel" wrote in message
Can whole potatoes be added to a compost heap or do they have to be

chopped
up? Can they be added at all?

Thanks.

They'll sprout, and then die, and break down that way.

No matter how small you chop them if there's a dormant
sprout attached to any bit of tuber it'll sprout.
All spuds are around 80% water in any case and so
are a good way of adding moisture to the compost
heap. More slow-release if not chopped up.

michael adams

choses any figure be

Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"michael adams" wrote in message
:
: "Mel" wrote in message
: ...
: Can whole potatoes be added to a compost heap or do they have to be
: chopped
: up? Can they be added at all?
:
: Thanks.
:
: They'll sprout, and then die, and break down that way.
:
: No matter how small you chop them if there's a dormant
: sprout attached to any bit of tuber it'll sprout.
: All spuds are around 80% water in any case and so
: are a good way of adding moisture to the compost
: heap. More slow-release if not chopped up.
:
We get a lot of blight down here and I wouldn't add potatoes to a compost
heap. Whether there is any scientific back up for me doing this I wouldn't
know but it makes me feel like I'm not giving the blight an easy time

New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Black leaves on spuds Shakespeare United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 05:56 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM