Old 11-04-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default infected soil

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Since you're reading in gardenbanter you don't see where posts originate.
Usenet users do.

What do people posting to Usenet see that people using the Garden
Banter portal don't see?

The posters from-address (and the option of opening their full usenet
post headers, see below.* ). Gardenbanter deletes both. Your post will
appear there under "Chris Bacon" (usenet poster).

Rob, aka George Com,

"George.com"

is posting from an unknown location in New Zealand

Using a provider in NZ, yes. Posting from NZ, possibly.

You think he's using a NZ provider's dial-up* service from outside NZ?

Okay, Here you are. Quote.

4
From: George.com - view profile
Date: Tues, Apr 11 2006 9:23 am
Email: "George.com"
Groups: rec.gardens

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

wrote in message

ups.com...

There are sites with USDA zone markings for Europe, and China, and
Aust/NZ. Amazing...

I looked at this one

Please note New Zealand is a different country (more literate, better
breeding, more open minded and tolerant, don't cheat as much etc etc) to
Australia. There is about 1500 kms of ocean between us.

rob

(endquote).

Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Since you're reading in gardenbanter you don't see where posts originate.
Usenet users do.

What do people posting to Usenet see that people using the Garden
Banter portal don't see?

The posters from-address (and the option of opening their full usenet
post headers, see below.* ). Gardenbanter deletes both.

No it doesn't.

Your post will appear there under "Chris Bacon" (usenet poster).

Yup. Full headers, etc., are available.

Rob, aka George Com,

"George.com"
is posting from an unknown location in New Zealand

Using a provider in NZ, yes. Posting from NZ, possibly.

You think he's using a NZ provider's dial-up* service from outside NZ?

I use a foreign provider. Many people do - the Uni-Berlin
service is popular.

Okay, Here you are. Quote.

So he *is* posting from NZ. I don't mind.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Jackie D" wrote after...

Pest Effects confirmed what I said two days ago

Sounds very much like a bad case of soft scale .... . This link will
provide further information.

http://tinyurl.com/naezr

Jeyes fluid can also cause a lot more harm than good!!

Thanks for the link. I have discovered Jeyes is trouble...

As you have not replied to my previous post I ask again....

You have intimated in your posts that your Garden Centre recommended Jeyes
Fluid.
They must therefore have diagnosed the problem to suggest a cure.
So what did they say they thought it was that Jeyes Fluid could cure? (a
soil born pest/disease, but what?)
I'm intrigued.

I also knew an allotment holder of many years experience (50+) that used to
water all his bare plot with JF every winter to "clean" the soil. He grew
excellent veg.
So don't worry over the JF, it's far from the end of the world.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 11-04-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jackie D" wrote after...

Pest Effects confirmed what I said two days ago

Sounds very much like a bad case of soft scale .... . This link will
provide further information.

http://tinyurl.com/naezr

Jeyes fluid can also cause a lot more harm than good!!

Thanks for the link. I have discovered Jeyes is trouble...

As you were told here.

As you have not replied to my previous post I ask again....

You have intimated in your posts that your Garden Centre recommended Jeyes
Fluid.
They must therefore have diagnosed the problem to suggest a cure.
So what did they say they thought it was that Jeyes Fluid could cure? (a
soil born pest/disease, but what?)
I'm intrigued.

I also knew an allotment holder of many years experience (50+) that used to
water all his bare plot with JF every winter to "clean" the soil. He grew
excellent veg.
So don't worry over the JF, it's far from the end of the world.

Except for the Acer and potentially, the possible lilac. ;-(
Again, I gave the info to Ray and asked his opinion. He is unequivocal
that placing a pot over an area of soil on which Jeyes has been used is
asking for trouble. 'Jackie' was not properly informed by his or her
gc originally and/or s/he didn't ask the right questions of the gc
before moving the pot into that area. "How long should I leave that
area bare?" from him/her and "Don't put anything there for x months",
from them would have avoided this. It's common sense that the roots in
the pot are as close to the ground as it's possible to be and that
water from that patch is going to be soaked up into the pot, either
through watering by the gardener, or from rainfall but unwary or new
gardeners need to be given that sort of warning, IME. Coincidentally,
someone came in yesterday with just such a problem and asked if they
could use JF to clear the ground. As it's part of a hedge and has old
beech trees behind it, the answer was a resounding "No" from all of us!
IF there were other plants in the vicinity, as we were told but which
now seems open to question, JF should never have been used and s/he
should have been warned that it would affect the area for some time to
come. Would s/he have been warned not to plant or place anything on an
area treated with some immensely powerful weed and brush killer, I
wonder? JF isn't exactly mineral water.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Since you're reading in gardenbanter you don't see where posts originate.
Usenet users do.

What do people posting to Usenet see that people using the Garden
Banter portal don't see?

The posters from-address (and the option of opening their full usenet
post headers, see below.* ). Gardenbanter deletes both.

No it doesn't.

According to gardenbanter, (registration advice) " your email address
is kept private at all times (it does not get posted with your message).
".

Your post will appear there under "Chris Bacon" (usenet poster).

Yup. Full headers, etc., are available.

How do you open those on a post on gardenbanter?

Janet

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Your post will appear there under "Chris Bacon" (usenet poster).

Yup. Full headers, etc., are available.

How do you open those on a post on gardenbanter?

Go to gradenbunter.co.uk, "United Kingdom" under "Regional Gardening
Discussions". "Open" a thread, and scroll down to a particular post.
I clicked on the "Gardeners are gardeners" one. Scrolling down to
the first article, by a person calling himself "Mike", and clicking
on that name, gives a "dropdown" "View message headers", which in
this case, after a "verification" to "combat e-mail harvesting"
message is filled in, results in:

Message Headers: GardenBanter.co.uk ref 629212
path:
border1.nntp.ams.giganews.com!nf3.bellglobal.com!b order2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giga news.com!nntp.giganews.com!local01.nntp.dca.gigane ws.com!nntp.bt.com!news.bt.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

nntp-posting-date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:34:02 -0500
from: "Mike" »
newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
subject: Gardeners are gardeners
date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:37:03 +0100
organization: very well
x-priority: 3
x-msmail-priority: Normal
x-newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
x-mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409
message-id: »
lines: 13
nntp-posting-host: 86.140.183.70
x-authenticatedusername: NoAuthUser
x-trace:
sv3-9e6E3t1cA2HatSWOsTt8ogZgGhhdTOUkYuKtc6Oi3EKhbncsD+ EmeLp+Rp1HiOcSI8eb0bPAdUWlsLW!BeQGrV44VMRjmNVMGG8v +xamJ7CjvEvR6tO2obBUN/s4/t/fN+IC7TRCmHlR36WEw8kpSakq9qk=

x-complaints-to:
x-dmca-complaints-to:

x-abuse-and-dmca-info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your
complaint properly
x-postfilter: 1.3.32
xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com uk.rec.gardening:421815

I don't know much about the site - I have noticed that this doesn't
always seem to work. Perhaps one needs to be "logged in", which I
don't think I was, or to be more compos mentis than I currently am!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
[...]

Hi

Sorry for not responding to your post. I thought I was up to date. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the garden centre said the disease was. I did use diluted Jeyes on the soil but the curious thing is I placed large cobbles on the patch of soil then placed my potted acer on top of the cobbles. Therefore the acer wasn't actually in contact with the infected soil. It still died.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message from Jackie D contains these words:
Sacha wrot
You received good information and advice on the matter of the Camellia
because firstly you wrote about it at some length and secondly, this is
an unmoderated newsgroup, not a forum, so nobody dictates who answers
what and how they do so. Perhaps the fact that you post through Garden
Banter has made you unaware of that.

Sorry, you've lost me with your last comment. But please don't bother
explaining it; it's too far off the point really.

Rob has kindly
answered my question (about re-using the pot etc) and offered some
pretty sound advice. Thanks Rob.

Since you're reading in gardenbanter you don't see where posts

originate.
Usenet users do.

What do people posting to Usenet see that people using the Garden
Banter portal don't see?

Rob, aka George Com,

"George.com"

is posting from an unknown location in New Zealand

Using a provider in NZ, yes. Posting from NZ, possibly.

yes, posting from NZ. Posting to the uk gardening newsgroup for several
reasons including that it is english, that our weather is similar to yours
and many of our horticultural traditions come from england (as do many of
our citizenry, my folks generation included) and that I find some good
advice and info on it.

And yes, we do get Jeyes fluid here and my mum used to use it every week to
mop the floors and wash the back steps and I can vividly remember the smell
even years later. And, surprising as it may be, soil in NZ is very much the
same to soil in England or anywhere else. The exact elements in the soil may
vary somewhat but it is still soil. Microbes in NZ can just as easily deal
with degraded soils as they can in England or America.

And yes, George.com is what I use on MS outlook but only because when I
installed it Bill Gates wouldn't let me use it until I put in a company
name. I used George.com and MS outlook decided to tag all my emails that
way. Bill gates is responsible, I am too lazy to bother changing.

Good advice on roganic gardening, which posted, is good advice regardless of
where it comes from. You will find that even Aussies (where the bloody hell
are you) can give good advice, along with losing the ashes.

rob, using a dial up connection in NZ because I am too bloody miserable to
pay for broadband.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Jackie D wrote:
Bob Hobden Wrote:
[...]

How these goal posts keep moving! First there was a dead Camellia
described at some length, then the Camellia became irrelevant, then
there was a lilac nearby, then there were no plants nearby, then the
Acer was in a pot on the JF treated soil, now it wasn't in contact with
the soil. And apparently, the garden centre is no longer on the phone
so can't be contacted for a refreshment of thememory.
Hmmmm.............--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Whereabouts in NZ are you?

I was in Aukland in February :-))

Janets right, the conditions are not the same all over the world. I was in
the Sinai at the end of last month and the conditions are not the same as
here :-)) Wish they were sometimes.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Yup. Full headers, etc., are available.

How do you open those on a post on gardenbanter?

(snip how to) :-(

I don't know much about the site - I have noticed that this doesn't
always seem to work. Perhaps one needs to be "logged in", which I
don't think I was, or to be more compos mentis than I currently am!

I checked. It's only usenet posters whose fullheaders including email
adresses, are available to view on gardenbanter by clicking their name.
That appears to me to be a direct contravention of the gardenbanter
promise to conceal all email address giving complete privacy.

Garden banter members private email addresses ARE fully concealed and
clicking on their name won't produce it.

Very interesting, Chris, and thanks for pointing that out. Of course,
urglers can prevent their email addresses being recorded on gardenbanter
by marking their urgposts x-no-archive-yes. Gardenbanter honours that
and does not reproduce those posts. Google shows no-archive posts for
seven days then deletes them.

A better bet might be not to post them in the clear on usenet in the first
place!

Relying on XNA to hide them is bizzarreand more to the point, ineffective.
If you XNA'd your OP , it will still all be within my message here, along
with your email addy, which may or may not be correct. If it is, pardon me
for saying so, but thats a silly thing to be doing considering you are
worried about GB seeing it, let alone every spambot harvester there is.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 13-04-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

yes, posting from NZ. Posting to the uk gardening newsgroup for several
reasons including that it is english,

No, it's a UK group, that means it serves four countries, not just
England. Wales, Ireland and Scotland, countries where gardening
conditions are not always like England's.

that our weather is similar to yours

Well, some of it is. Some areas of NZ support outdoor lemon trees and
peach orchards etc so must be rather warmer than the UK.

. And, surprising as it may be, soil in NZ is very much the
same to soil in England or anywhere else.

No, soils are not the same the world over. For instance, the UK does
not have inland salinated soils as USA and Australia do; nor hard
iron-pan soil. The US domestic-garden obsession with mineral "soil
amendments" is almost unknown here.

Nor do countries all have the same soil microbes or
inhabitants . We don't have the same creepy crawlies, worms, or plant
diseases. Well, I'm almost unique among the UK posters here, in that my
garden is host to New Zealand flatworms, so we have something in
common.....and I grow a lot of NZ plants. But both are because I garden
in somewhat milder temperatures than most of the UK mainland. You can
have your worms back btw.

Good advice on roganic gardening, which posted, is good advice

regardless of
where it comes from. You will find that even Aussies (where the bloody

hell
are you) can give good advice, along with losing the ashes.

We do have regular Aussie posters here, one of whom who gardens
organically in the tropics. So not all of his advice or experience is
appropriate to the UK climate.

You and other overseas posters are very welcome to post here.
However, please be aware that "uk" does not mean England, and your home
conditions are not interchangeable with conditions in all parts of the
UK. Similar maybe, but with very significant differences.We often have
the greatest difficulty persuading some overseas posters of that.

I won;'t argue about the scots, welsh and irish bit and tf our climate is
not the same as some parts of britain. Having said that we do have our
southlands, invercargills and dunedins that were colonised by the scots as
the places down there are so cold, miserable and depressing it suited the
scots psyche. Climatically NZ is much closer to britain than many other
commonwealth countries. We also have/had a traditional british appraoch to
things

Problems sometimes arise when less experienced UK gardeners (or
usenetters) don't realise that the advice they read here was written by
someone in a very different climate with very different experience.
For instance, it has been known for posters to suggests Brits plant
aubergines in the open garden, or (famous example), protect the
sweetcorn from raccoons.

I know stuff all about plants, that is my wifes side of things, so I will
give little advice on plants. Likewise, on advice about animals I won't
comment on things we do not have in NZ. We don't have moles, we do have
slugs. We will swap your snails for our rabbits, goats, deer, ragwort,
thistle and gorse.

Soil microbes however do the same job the world around. As it is, science
probably only knows about 1/2 the microscopic organisms in the soil and what
they do. If you observe composting at work in Britain you don't understand
all the miraculous processes occurring not all the organisms going to work.
You just see organic matter being turned into soil. Likewise in NZ we don't
understand everything but see the same results. The worms in your compost do
much the same job as in my compost, even if they are different species of
worm. If I pour Jeyes Fluid on my soil it will do much the same damage as it
would on your soil. The way to rejuvenate the soil works both sides of the
planet. If you and I put too much fertiliser on our pasture and it leaches
into the local streams and causes excessive growth of aquatic weed, the
weeds that grow in my stream may be different to your however both streams
will become nutrients rich with problems of degredation. The toxic shit
pumped out of my car will be similar to the toxic shit pumped out of your
car and both will result in similar problems.

Whereabouts in NZ are you?

The Waikato, humid/wet/foggy.

rob