Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default Gardeners are gardeners

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

I originally thought that it was a group run by primary school children
somewhere because of the lack of punctuation. I later worked out that it was
website which apparently strips out the punctuation when it posts - is this
true? Anyway I think that the fact that the posts appear in this way leads
people to subconsciously think that the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years
old. Just my theory anyway

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

H Ryder wrote:
[...]
when it posts - is this true? Anyway I think that the fact that the
posts appear in this way leads people to subconsciously think that
the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years old. Just my theory anyway

All the more reason, then, to treat them gently. That's what we do in
real life, after all. I've never quite understood it, but there is
something about Usenet that makes some people a bit snappy -- I don't
exclude myself, by any means, as I've said my share of embarrassing
things in newsgroups. Perhaps it's a combination of anonymity, lack of
body-language and eye-contact, and the need for brevity imposed by
typing rather than speaking.

I think it's great if somebody discovers Usenet by way of portals like
GB, and we should be holding the door open for them. Apart from anything
else, the more people get into newsgroups, the better the chance that
ISPs will keep on providing access: we don't want any more following
AOL's dumb example.

--
Mike.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"H Ryder" wrote in message
If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they

are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

I originally thought that it was a group run by primary school children
somewhere because of the lack of punctuation. I later worked out that it was
website which apparently strips out the punctuation when it posts - is this
true? Anyway I think that the fact that the posts appear in this way leads
people to subconsciously think that the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years
old. Just my theory anyway
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Probably the younger generation who have grown up with SMS speak :~)

I have friends who send emails with out punctuation, paragraphs or any form of
spelling check :~(

Jenny

Old 11-04-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"JennyC" wrote after

"H Ryder"wrote in reply to Mike
[...]

We have a Canadian friend that sends long letters like that, makes for an
interesting read!!! :-)

--
Regards
Bob