Old 11-04-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AAJ

Default Grass on water logged garden

Hi

I have a garden of 2 types, the top is fantastic - good top soil and
well drained. The bottom is solid clay with about 4" of topsoil on it.
I seeded last year and on the top have some lovely ornamental grass.

However, the bottom is a mud bath, not surprising really, it develops
10' by 4' puddles that take about a week to drain. The grass did take
initially, but unfortunately it tears up really easily under foot. I
have improved the drainage on the bottom by digging a sump and pumping
away the excess water, but although there is no standing water now, it
still gets saturated.

Can anyone recommend a grass mix for these wet conditions, that may
survive and even flourish in these type of conditions?

thanks

Andy

Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "AAJ" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend a grass mix for these wet conditions, that may
survive and even flourish in these type of conditions?

Pampas grass and cortaderia (toe-toe) grass both do spectacularly
well in wet conditions. In your situation I eliminated the swampy
mossridden "lawn" (which couldn't be walked on, let along sat on)
and planted a swamp/ bog garden. The centre is a magnificaent stand of 5
cortaderia, surrounded by gunnera, bullrushes, irises and primulas etc.
The yellow skunk cabbage are going to flower for the first time soon
:-)

Janet
Old 11-04-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

AAJ wrote:
Hi

I have a garden of 2 types, the top is fantastic - good top soil and
well drained. The bottom is solid clay with about 4" of topsoil on it.
I seeded last year and on the top have some lovely ornamental grass.

However, the bottom is a mud bath, not surprising really, it develops
10' by 4' puddles that take about a week to drain. The grass did take
initially, but unfortunately it tears up really easily under foot. I
have improved the drainage on the bottom by digging a sump and pumping
away the excess water, but although there is no standing water now, it
still gets saturated.

Can anyone recommend a grass mix for these wet conditions, that may
survive and even flourish in these type of conditions?

I think you will find a few recommendations to make a bog garden will
come your way. Of course, if it dries out horribly in the summer,
you'll then be left with the interesting problem of how to keep it wet!
;-( But I'd suggest you contact e.g. Suttons and ask them for some
information and advice with this problem.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| Pampas grass and cortaderia (toe-toe) grass both do spectacularly
| well in wet conditions. ...

But watch out for dog blood on the carpet, with the first at least!
There are less vicious plants - including many grasses. A bed of
Norfolk reed would be a possibility :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| I did a lot of work last year in what amounts to a pampas plantation,
| many very old plants which dwarf me, and none of us had any problem with
| cuts poking or slicing. I wonder if the blades are softer and less
| razorlike when grown in a wet climate like this, than a dry one like
| yours?

My experience with it was in Wiltshire, on the Avon flood-plain!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.