Old 15-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

Default watering high plants

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front
porch that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a
hose pipe ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a
legal way to water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder
out twice a day, and the location's not accessible from a window.

MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 15-04-2006, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"bof" wrote in message

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front
porch that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a
hose pipe ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a
legal way to water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder
out twice a day, and the location's not accessible from a window.

How about using a water pump to suck up water from a conveniently located
butt or bucket or pond along a piece of hose and up the pipe? I assume the
hosepipe ban refers to hosepipes attached to the main water supply and not
to buckets, ponds etc?

Old 15-04-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

In message , BAC
writes

"bof" wrote in message

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front
porch that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a
hose pipe ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a
legal way to water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder
out twice a day, and the location's not accessible from a window.

How about using a water pump to suck up water from a conveniently located
butt or bucket or pond along a piece of hose and up the pipe? I assume the
hosepipe ban refers to hosepipes attached to the main water supply and not
to buckets, ponds etc?

I was thinking along these lines, but there didn't seem to be anything
suitable available at the garden centre.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 15-04-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

In message , Stan The Man
writes
In article , bof
wrote:

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front
porch that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a
hose pipe ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a
legal way to water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder
out twice a day, and the location's not accessible from a window.

Use a pressure sprayer with a long lance and adjustable nozzle -- but
wash it thoroughly if you previously zapped weeds or bugs with it.

If you need a longer lance look at the Hozelock Hanging Basket Lance -
£5 at http://www.garden4less.co.uk/hozeloc...y-sprayers.asp -
and if you want to make watering even more confortable, go for a
backpack sprayer such as this:
http://www.charliesstoresltd.co.uk/p...etails.asp?Pro
ductID=592

Thanks that's the sort of thing, I was looking for, I either missed
them, or they don't stock them at the local garden centre.

Remember that under a hosepipe ban it's perfectly legal to fill your
sprayer (or any other container) with your hosepipe.

Quite. Utterly stupid isn't it?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Old 15-04-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"bof" wrote ...

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front porch
that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a hose pipe
ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a legal way to
water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder out twice a day,
and the location's not accessible from a window.

Don't plant it this year, I'm not doing my normal 5 hanging baskets, can't
expect people to hold watering cans up in the air when we go away on
holiday. Will make a change.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-04-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"bof" wrote ...

In past years I've always had a large box of plants above the front porch
that I water using a 3m pipe connected to a hose. As we have a hose pipe
ban this year that won't be possible. Any suggestions on a legal way to
water the flower box, don't really fancy getting a ladder out twice a day,
and the location's not accessible from a window.

Don't plant it this year, I'm not doing my normal 5 hanging baskets, can't
expect people to hold watering cans up in the air when we go away on
holiday. Will make a change.

I've a few hanging baskets too, I'd like to have them all out as usual
as it brightens the street up a lot. The submersible butt pump with
irrigation drip looks like a good bet.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 15-04-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bof

In message , Stan The Man
writes
You can buy a submersible water butt pump online for £40 from
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=WBP1 - complete with
hose, timer or drip system fittings.

Ta this looks like it may well be the ideal solution.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 15-04-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , bof
wrote:

In message , BAC
writes

"bof" wrote in message

[...]

Stupid as the law is, you can, under a hosepipe ban, legitimately fill
your water butt from the mains using one hosepipe and you can water the
garden from your pressurised water butt using another hose. Don't ask.
Old 16-04-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

bof wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes