Old 18-04-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BC

Default Neglected Apple tree

Hi there,

I have recently moving into an old house with a mature garden. There is a
neglegted apple tree in the garden which I would like to get under control.
Over the winter I removed all the dead and broken branches but after that
I'm not too sure what to do. I've read a few articles about fruit tree
pruning and I think I have the general gist that I need to get it into a
goblet shape - other than that does anyone else have any advice?

One other thing, the tree seems to be covered in what looks like open
"sores" that is eating the bark. I've uploaded some photos to a hosting
website as well as an overall picture of the tree at the moment. Is anyone
able to identify what is wrong and how to fix it?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5005Medium.jpg

TIA.

Brent

Old 18-04-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"BC" wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I have recently moving into an old house with a mature garden. There is a
neglegted apple tree in the garden which I would like to get under

control.
Over the winter I removed all the dead and broken branches but after that
I'm not too sure what to do. I've read a few articles about fruit tree
pruning and I think I have the general gist that I need to get it into a
goblet shape - other than that does anyone else have any advice?

One other thing, the tree seems to be covered in what looks like open
"sores" that is eating the bark. I've uploaded some photos to a hosting
website as well as an overall picture of the tree at the moment. Is anyone
able to identify what is wrong and how to fix it?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5005Medium.jpg

The tree looks as though it has been pruned O.K. in the past.

It already has the basic open shape which lets light into the centre.

It looks as though the main thing it needs is the high thin branches cutting
back.

I would think that they should be cut back quite drastically - 1/3 to 1/2
their length - to get the tree back in proportion.

Thin high whippy branches will bear fruit but you won't be able to pick
them.

It is better to have branches which fork, the fork again to give a lot of
small shoots, instead of single straight vertical stem.

Estimate how high you can easily get (with a step ladder or standing in the
'cup' in the centre of the tree) and aim to trim back anything much higher
than that.

No point in having apples if you can't pick them.

HTH

Dave R

Old 18-04-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

No point in having apples if you can't pick them.

Birds can eat them.

michael adams

HTH

Dave R

Old 18-04-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BC

"BC" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks David. Am I alright to prune at the moment as some website suggest
only pruning in Winter? Also, I've upload some other photos regarding the
bark "sores" as I forgot to post them this morning. These things are on
every branch. Any idea what it could be?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

Old 18-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

BC wrote:
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
Also, I've upload some other photos regarding the
bark "sores" as I forgot to post them this morning. These things are on
every branch. Any idea what it could be?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

It looks rather as if the tree has been 'barked' at some time, i.e.
branches have been cut or torn off carelessly, taking some of the bark
with them. Or rabbits have nibbled at it when it was a much smaller
plant. The other thing could be canker but I don't *think* so.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ple_canker.asp
If it's been barked, there's nothing you can do but trees can go on for
a very long time with that comparatively small degree of damage.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-04-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Sacha wrote:
BC wrote:
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

It looks rather as if the tree has been 'barked' at some time, i.e.
branches have been cut or torn off carelessly, taking some of the bark
with them. Or rabbits have nibbled at it when it was a much smaller
plant.

I looked at it, and thought "I bet small boys have been
climbing it".
Old 18-04-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BC

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
BC wrote:
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

It looks rather as if the tree has been 'barked' at some time, i.e.
branches have been cut or torn off carelessly, taking some of the bark
with them. Or rabbits have nibbled at it when it was a much smaller
plant.

I looked at it, and thought "I bet small boys have been
climbing it".

The previous owner of the house had a small boy and girl (about 8 and 7 I
think). That could explain the problems on the lower branches but these
things are also on many of the higher twigs/branches as well. When cutting
back I'm cutting to below these marks at the moment. On the branches that
aren't sprouting and look dead at the moment there is inevitably a
particulalrly bad "sore" lower down that marks the start of the dead area.

Old 18-04-2006, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

BC wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote
I looked at it, and thought "I bet small boys have been
climbing it".

The previous owner of the house had a small boy and girl (about 8 and 7 I
think). That could explain the problems on the lower branches but these
things are also on many of the higher twigs/branches as well. When cutting
back I'm cutting to below these marks at the moment. On the branches that
aren't sprouting and look dead at the moment there is inevitably a
particulalrly bad "sore" lower down that marks the start of the dead area.

Um. I are not up to looking properly at the mo. Lidl have a knife next
week, if I remember I'll buy a coupl to try,
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pa...p.Garden_Knife
maybe not stainless, hopefully, else I won't. If when you've cut a branch
yoy "finish off" with a really sharp knife, cutting the bark back
*just enough* to make it smooth instead of showing saw tooth marks,
it will be better. Doesn't take a mo. Before I forget, your
100_5010Medium.jpg shows the tree on the way to healing itself
after some physical damage.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"BC" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have read/been told "Prune in the winter for shape, and in the summer for
fruit" which I take to mean do most of the major work over winter.

However the rules are there to tell you the best time to do it; if necessary
you can prune apples at any time of the year.

I would be tempted to cut back the high whippy bits now, to encourage the
tree to put more effort into the lower branches.

You lose the potential fruit high up, but the fruit lower down has a better
chance.

I have just performed major surgery on a Bramley, knowing that I should have
done it over winter and that I am a bad person for doing it now.

However it needed doing, although I did apologise to the tree afterwards.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 18-04-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"BC" wrote in message ...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
Also, I've upload some other photos regarding the
bark "sores" as I forgot to post them this morning. These things are on
every branch. Any idea what it could be?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

They don't look good - damage around 50% of the branch in some cases.

Is the main damage low down on the tree?

Looks almost like major rope burns.

If the damage is only down near the bottom then it could just be major
physical damage due to abuse.
If the damage is also high up then it is more likely to be disease, although
I couldn't say what type.

Apple trees are pretty hardy - I climb in ours to pick and prune, and the
cats use them as scratching posts without causing this kind of damage.

Beyond my limited experience; if it was just a few branches then they could
be cut out below the damage, but all major branches seem to be affected.

The main thing is the tree seems to be still growing.

If the apples are good, then soldier on.

If the apples also show signs of disease, then it may be best to rip the
poor thing out.

HTH

Dave R

Old 19-04-2006, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Brent,
generally you want to do your formative - shaping pruning in the winter
as you have read. It is too late for that now. Looking at your
pictures there is no hurry as they are in reasonable condition - appart
from the distortion on the bark. You may want to undertake some summer
pruning to encorage fruiting come August.
To me it looks like canker that has been treated. Someone has used a
knife to cut away the diseased tissue and this is the callus that has
formed as its healed.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 19-04-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"Sacha" writes:
| BC wrote:
|
| Also, I've upload some other photos regarding the
| bark "sores" as I forgot to post them this morning. These things are on
| every branch. Any idea what it could be?
|
| http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg
| http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg
|
| It looks rather as if the tree has been 'barked' at some time, i.e.
| branches have been cut or torn off carelessly, taking some of the bark
| with them. Or rabbits have nibbled at it when it was a much smaller
| plant. The other thing could be canker but I don't *think* so.
| http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ple_canker.asp
| If it's been barked, there's nothing you can do but trees can go on for
| a very long time with that comparatively small degree of damage.

The second picture shows a problem on the twig behind, which indicates
a disease or physiological problem. But, as other people have said,
if the apples are OK don't worry. I finally removed an old apple a
year or two back that had been in a comparable state for 20+ years,
and cropped well. It finally started breaking apart because the fungi
had destroyed the structural integrity of the branches and trunk!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey/London border

I pruned my apple tree in December and quite heavily overpruned it - as a result the remaining trunks are growing away quite a lot, though there is not much sideways branch growth (or side branches!). I have heard that to stop this kind of growth you need to prune in August. I would like if possible to get it back to some kind of apple-tree like shape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC
Hi there,

I have recently moving into an old house with a mature garden. There is a
neglegted apple tree in the garden which I would like to get under control.
Over the winter I removed all the dead and broken branches but after that
I'm not too sure what to do. I've read a few articles about fruit tree
pruning and I think I have the general gist that I need to get it into a
goblet shape - other than that does anyone else have any advice?

Brent

Reviving a neglected apple tree scott Lawns 2 28-01-2006 12:49 AM
reviving a neglected apple tree scott Edible Gardening 3 27-01-2006 02:56 AM
Pruning a neglected apple tree Brian Edible Gardening 8 29-03-2004 01:05 AM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM