Old 20-04-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

Default lowest temps for toms?

What is the lowest temperature a tomato plant can withstand before it is
knocked back .I didnt plant my toms in my unheated greenhouse last year
until the first week in june .And was wondering wether they could go in
there sooner?I live in Nottingham.The plants are about 10 inches high at the
moment.So i will sow later next year until i get the balance right.Last year
i sown around feb 15 th,this year end of march,next year i think end of
april.I suppose you only learn from the experience & from your own location.
Cheers Keith

Old 20-04-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Taz

You're right - you've sown a little early for an unheated greenhouse,
but the fact they they haven't died yet is probably a good sign. I'll
put my neck out here - put them in the soil in a couple of weeks as
long as that doesn't mean them getting potbound. Toms don't respond
well to a check in their growth. You may be able to get away with it
now as long as you fleece them, but I'd be cautious.

A good tip for reducing pests is to grow marigolds in the same bed, as
they bring in insect predators which eat most of the baddies. Only a
few though - many a time I've had to pull out loads of marigolds to
give the toms some space!

As you're discovering, this game is one of trial and error!

Old 20-04-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Taz" wrote in message
ups.com...
You're right - you've sown a little early for an unheated greenhouse,
but the fact they they haven't died yet is probably a good sign. I'll
put my neck out here - put them in the soil in a couple of weeks as
long as that doesn't mean them getting potbound. Toms don't respond
well to a check in their growth. You may be able to get away with it
now as long as you fleece them, but I'd be cautious.

A good tip for reducing pests is to grow marigolds in the same bed, as
they bring in insect predators which eat most of the baddies. Only a
few though - many a time I've had to pull out loads of marigolds to
give the toms some space!

As you're discovering, this game is one of trial and error!

Thanks Taz for the advise,
My toms at the moment are in a greenhouse heated to 55 oF min.This
greenhouse is for growing orchids and is getting tight for space, hence the
unheated greenhouse Q.
Cheers Keith

Old 20-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenty;\)
What is the lowest temperature a tomato plant can withstand before it is
knocked back .

I live in Nottingham.

Cheers Keith
This is how I do mine, I live in Huddersfield;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Tomatoes.htm
Old 20-04-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Scotia
writes

This is how I do mine, I live in Huddersfield;

http://tinyurl.com/f4qba

some nice pages there.

Can I suggest you have a go a redoing your images? On for example

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Misc.Data/Seed%20Sowing.htm

atypical image size is about 100K and the physical pixel size something
like 760x466 - though on the page they are displayed at a much smaller
pixel size. These unnecessarily large, and mean that that page come sin
at something like 2 MB - Even on Broadband I noticed them taking a
little time to download, someone on dialup would wait for quite while. I
know broadband allows us to be lazy about such things, but there's a
principle :-)

They can be made much smaller - resize the images to the actual pixel
size required on the page, saved with asuitable compression and
probably no more than say 10k or so each
--
Chris French

Old 21-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris French
In message , Scotia
writes

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk...d%20Sowing.htm

atypical image size is about 100K and the physical pixel size something
like 760x466 - though on the page they are displayed at a much smaller
pixel size. These unnecessarily large, and mean that that page come sin
at something like 2 MB - Even on Broadband I noticed them taking a
little time to download, someone on dialup would wait for quite while. I
know broadband allows us to be lazy about such things, but there's a
principle :-)

They can be made much smaller - resize the images to the actual pixel
size required on the page, saved with asuitable compression and
probably no more than say 10k or so each
--
Chris French

Point taken, thanks for the constructive advice.

I am currently making the Mk2 version of my website, i.e. tweaking here and tweaking there, now I will take your advice on board and have a look at my picture sizes.

Don't expect immediate results, it is now the growing season and I don't spend too much time on my website. I tend to revise it during wet weather and the winter months.
Old 21-04-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

"Scotia" wrote

Can I suggest you have a go a redoing your images? On for example

I am currently making the Mk2 version of my website, i.e. tweaking here
and tweaking there, now I will take your advice on board and have a look
at my picture sizes.

I used to use a free online programme that automatically compressed your
images for you - easy peasy. Probably a Google search will turn up
programmes such as this.

Regards