Old 17-04-2003, 10:56 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Q. Lowest hardening plants temperature??????

Zone 5/6, Western Pa.. I've started tomatoes, moonflowers, pumpkins and castor
plants from seeds. They are no longer under the grow light. They all have their
second leaves.
I have them on a cart, push 'em out on the deck around noon, bring 'em in the
evening. My question.........what would be the lowest nighttime temperature
that I could leave them outside?

Old 17-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Zone 5/6, Western Pa.. I've started tomatoes, moonflowers, pumpkins and castor
plants from seeds. They are no longer under the grow light. They all have their
second leaves.
I have them on a cart, push 'em out on the deck around noon, bring 'em in the
evening. My question.........what would be the lowest nighttime temperature
that I could leave them outside?

Frost, if you're using a coldframe or tunnel.
Old 18-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Dwight Sipler

jammer wrote:

On 17 Apr 2003 21:49:35 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Zone 5/6, Western Pa.. I've started tomatoes, moonflowers, pumpkins and castor
plants from seeds. They are no longer under the grow light. They all have their
second leaves.
I have them on a cart, push 'em out on the deck around noon, bring 'em in the
evening. My question.........what would be the lowest nighttime temperature
that I could leave them outside?

I can only vouch for tomatoes. You don't want to leave them out with
too many nights below 55 F. This will cause the flowers to fall off
and you won't have any tomatoes. This is general concensus and it has
happened to me when i was over zealous and couldn't wait to plant.

I would look up each individual plant via search engine to find when
to plant each one outside.

55F is only a problem for tomatoes if they are flowering. Below that
temperature you may get increased catfacing (blossom end scars) of the
fruit. In my experience, blossom drop doesn't occur until somewhat below
about 40F and above about 90F. Since the tomatoes are only at the second
leaf (and have no flowers yet), they can withstand 35F (but get them
there gradually, over a few days to harden them). However, given the
relative accuracy of weather forecasts these days I would bring them in
if the forecast calls for night temperatures below 45F. Particularly
with clear skies forecast. Note that radiation cooling during clear
skies can drop the leaf temperature 5F or more below the air
temperature, depending on wind conditions.

Pumpkins will take temperatures to freezing and a bit below, but again,
it's best to harden them by lowering the nighttime temperatures a bit at
a time, not all at once.

Plants can be protected against light frosts by covering them with an
opaque cloth. If you do that, support the cloth so that it doesn't touch
the plants. The cloth will get cold, and may damage foliage where it
touches the plant. A couple of old milk jugs full of water under the
cover with the plants will help. The water will provide thermal mass to
limit the rate at which the temperature under the cover will fall. Also,
as water freezes, it releases the "heat of solidification". This will
keep the temperature in the vicinity from dropping below 32F until the
water in the jug is all solidified.

Never grew moonflowers or castor plants, so I have no information there.