Old 08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands
Default Daturas/Brugmansias

Thanks folks I really am gleaning lots of useful information to a couple of questions I have posted on this site and at the risk of appearing a bit of a pest may I pose another one,
I have had my interest aroused concerning Brugmansias and datura I am inclined to favour Daturas but where do I get the seeds in the british isles, and of course any growing tips will be greatly appreciated.
Tom2
Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Location: North East England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2
I have had my interest aroused concerning Brugmansias and datura I am inclined to favour Daturas
Tom2

Now I thought that Brugmansias and Daturas were one and the same plant.
__________________
If it can be grown I want it. If it can't I still want it!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:41 AM
p00kie

--
Tom2

Thompson & Morgan do both seed types:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/index
A search on the quick index on the left for either A or B and you should
find them.
Also you could try looking in the seed sections of a few garden centres as
I've come across them there ... in spring some centres have small plants on
sale as well.
Neither are really hardy (most likly half hardy or frost tender) and would
need overwintering indoors (greenhouse etc). I'd suggest well drained soil
and definately full sun.
http://www.brugmansia.us/ is a US website that may help.
Also found this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/...xia&CAN=COMIND
HTH

Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Kay

In article , Tom2 Tom2.1ikk87@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Thanks folks I really am gleaning lots of useful information to a couple
of questions I have posted on this site and at the risk of appearing a
bit of a pest may I pose another one,
I have had my interest aroused concerning Brugmansias and datura I am
inclined to favour Daturas but where do I get the seeds in the british
isles, and of course any growing tips will be greatly appreciated.

Chiltern seeds has quite a few (but beware - they include Brugmansia in
Datura)
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...es/Default.asp
--
Kay

Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Kay

In article , GreenLarry
writes

Tom2 Wrote:

I have had my interest aroused concerning Brugmansias and datura I am
inclined to favour Daturas
Tom2

Now I thought that Brugmansias and Daturas were one and the same plant.

They used all to be in the genus Datura, but since then it has been
recognised that they are two distinct genera, and Brugmansia has been
created for the ones with hanging down flowers.
--
Kay

Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLarry
Now I thought that Brugmansias and Daturas were one and the same plant.
I am not sure of my facts Larry but I think that Brugmansias are overall a larger specimen and that they can grow to the size of small trees and their flowers are pendulous where as Daturas are not so large and their flowers are generally shown sideways or facing up as I say I am not sure, perhaps some one will be able to point out the real difference.
Tom2
Old 09-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00kie
"Tom2" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Pookie??

I have bookmarked those web sites and will go through them later
Cheers,
Tom2