Old 30-04-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default nasturshalems

I like nasturtiums.
Nasturtiums like "poor soil".

Last year I grew some in a window box with other annuals that like the odd
feed and I ended up with buckets of nasturtium foliage. (At least the
compost heap appreciated it)

So I am going to grow them by themselves this year and have planted some in
a tub of last year's compost.

Will this work d'you think?

SueW.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 30-04-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Sue wrote:

I like nasturtiums.

I love them too Sue, but unfortunately so do the blasted black fly.
Mine looked beautiful growing up the trellis by the back door last
summer until they became invaded by black fly and as if that wasn't bad
enough then the caterpillars started to eat them!

As a result I am growing morning glory instead as I seem to have more
success with that! :-)

Gail

Old 30-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Sue" writes:
| I like nasturtiums.
| Nasturtiums like "poor soil".
|
| Last year I grew some in a window box with other annuals that like the odd
| feed and I ended up with buckets of nasturtium foliage. (At least the
| compost heap appreciated it)

They are good in salads. I can relate to your experience - mine do that
in wet years.

| So I am going to grow them by themselves this year and have planted some in
| a tub of last year's compost.
|
| Will this work d'you think?

Probably. A tub of sand with enough compost in the centre to get them
started might also do. Or it might be TOO dry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply
"Sue" wrote in message
I like nasturtiums.
Nasturtiums like "poor soil".

Last year I grew some in a window box with other annuals that like the odd
feed and I ended up with buckets of nasturtium foliage. (At least the
compost heap appreciated it)

So I am going to grow them by themselves this year and have planted some
in a tub of last year's compost.

Will this work d'you think?
SueW.

Should be fine. Maybe you could mix some sand in with the soil to make it
'poorer'
Jenny

Old 30-04-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Janet Baraclough wrote:

As a result I am growing morning glory instead as I seem to have more
success with that! :-)

Which colour?

Janet

I have just re-potted my seedlings into deeper pots. I have mixed two
different colours together, Grandpa Ottis and Heavenly Blue. I planted
some Sky Lark which didn't even germinate, thanks to my cat 'Dave', who
decided that he would knock them from the bathroom window cill into the
bath just for the hell of it, cos that's what Dave is like.

I have grown Heavenly Blue the last two years and it is stunning once
it gets going. This year I am going to grow them up the fence which we
have just erected around the veg patch (to keep the dogs off).

As you can imagine and probably have guessed from reading my posts that
It sure is hard work trying to have a nice garden with so many animals.
Gardens and animals just don't go but I'm a sucker for waifs and
strays :-)

(Btw - I think I am getting the hang of the quote thing. Thanks for
the info)

Gail

Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

I once had some self-sown nasturtiums, that came up amongst my french
marigolds, and the nasturtiums did not get any black fly all season! Do have
another go, and try growing them right next to french marigolds.
John

Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tom&barbara wrote:
Sue wrote:

I like nasturtiums.

I love them too Sue, but unfortunately so do the blasted black fly.
Mine looked beautiful growing up the trellis by the back door last
summer until they became invaded by black fly and as if that wasn't bad
enough then the caterpillars started to eat them!

I think the caterpillars are usually cabbage whites and they are
actually quite prety (even the ceterpillars themselves). When I last
grew them and got caterpillars, me and the kids had some fun collecting
the chrysalissesses and "hatching" them out. The black fly can be
overwhelming at first but may calm down if enough hoverflies and things
can get at them. They are tough ole plants and usually manage to look
after themselves after a while.

Morning glories are a different story though; the blue ones are
fabulous but we do not get enough sun here to do them easily. Good
luck with them.

Des in Dublin

Old 21-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
tom&barbara wrote:
Sue wrote:

[...]

Yes I agree. Mine have lots og black fly on them but the plants are still going guns.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler

Default Berry identification: murallas - red blueberries?!?

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

They taste great - but again: not much like
the blueberries they rather resemble.

I searched for murallas without much success.

Can any kind soul help me to ID these berries?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
__________
Old 23-06-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to Tim Tyler :

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

They taste great - but again: not much like
the blueberries they rather resemble.

I searched for murallas without much success.

Can any kind soul help me to ID these berries?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)
--
Tim C.

Old 23-06-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler

Tim C. wrote:

Following up to Tim Tyler :

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

Interesting. I looked at their relatives.
Not an exact match - but perhaps a lead.

I bought them at Bristol's Sweet Mart.

They couldn't tell me much about them -
except that their availability was not
very good.

The berries in the photos cost me 1.99 UKP.
--
__________
Old 23-06-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jennifer Sparkes

The message k
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

Tim C. wrote:

Following up to Tim Tyler :

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

Interesting. I looked at their relatives.
Not an exact match - but perhaps a lead.

I bought them at Bristol's Sweet Mart.

They couldn't tell me much about them -
except that their availability was not
very good.

Good old Abdul!!! Must drop by there soon and tell him,
plus get some - if I can!!!

Jennifer
Old 23-06-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim C. writes
Following up to Tim Tyler :

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

They taste great - but again: not much like
the blueberries they rather resemble.

I searched for murallas without much success.

Can any kind soul help me to ID these berries?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

If they're described as looking like blueberries, then I'd assume they
were that size, ie far too small for medlar.

Look like cranberry to me, or something of that family.
--
Kay
Old 23-06-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler

K wrote or quoted:

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

If they're described as looking like blueberries, then I'd assume they
were that size, ie far too small for medlar.

Look like cranberry to me, or something of that family.

They were smaller than most shop-bought blueberries.

More like the size of the blueberries I get on my
blueberry bushes at home.

The carton in the first photo is 10cm across.

There's a significant medlar similarity - apart from
the size issue.

They don't remind me much of cranberries. They are
certainly not very tart - and the insides seem
pretty different.
--
__________
Old 24-06-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Tyler writes
K wrote or quoted:

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

If they're described as looking like blueberries, then I'd assume
they were that size, ie far too small for medlar.
Look like cranberry to me, or something of that family.

They were smaller than most shop-bought blueberries.

Certainly not medlars, then!

--
Kay