Old 02-05-2006, 05:06 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default What kind of tree is this?

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Declan Murphy wrote:
(Apologies for the crosspost)

Would some kind soul identify this flowering tree for me please? It is
about 45 centimetres high, and I've inherited it from the previous
owner of the garden. The stem is only about 15mm thick at the base, so
I'm assuming it was planted early last year or the year before. Thought
it may be dead, but it began flowering about 10 days ago.

http://www.declan.tv/images/what_kin...ee_is_this.jpg

(image is 186KB)

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

When I first saw it, I immediately thought of a forsythia - only a
bright pink one instead of yellow. But I googled for pink forsythia,
and while there is such a thing, it doesn't look much like your plant.
Come to think of it, the only commonality with forsythia is the bright
flowers on bare stems, the leaves coming only second later in Spring.
Fat lot of good my answer is :-)
Well done, all the same, Declan. It looks like you've stumped a whole
newsgroup of experts (and don't include me in that).
Cat(h)

Declan can do miracles with pink paint and Sellotape:-)

Old 02-05-2006, 05:27 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Declan Murphy wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... I hadn't envisaged that possibility... but now that you mention
it...
Speaking of which... has such a cheeky trick ever been played here? A
spaghetti tree for April Fools' day, mayhaps?
Cat(h)

Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 AM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Declan Murphy

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Nick it does enlarge sufficiently to see the "cherry like" bark and much
| more detail of the flowers. It looks like one of those graft type things
| that has been buggad around with.
| Perhaps a Daphne on a pear:-)

The bark doesn't look very cherry-like to me - it was the thing that made
me think that it WASN'T a cherry - and I can't see any detail on the
flowers.

6 new photos including front & read of petals, and what I can get of
the leaves.

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 AM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Declan Murphy

or "rear of petals", if that were more useful.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Declan Murphy

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Unusual to draw such a blank; but that may mean it's something that
doesn't grow in UK conditions. From what I've read, Japan's climate
combines heat with high humidity in summer and cold snowy winters, not
much like any single part of the UK. Where is Dave Poole? :-)

Not much snow in Okazaki, 1 or 2 dustings a year. Seabreezes take the
punch out of the summer humidity too. Kind of like a slightly more
temperate version of Cornwall.

You might try asking on rec.gardens, Declan; it's mostly American
gardeners there and I wonder if someone from the South-east states might
recognise it.

Thanks Janet. If nobody can identify it from the new photos just
uploaded, I'll give that a go too.

Regards Declan,
Okazaki, Japan

Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 AM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"Declan Murphy" writes:

| 6 new photos including front & read of petals, and what I can get of
| the leaves.
|
| http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

While that helps, all that I can say is what it is not!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 AM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Declan Murphy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Declan Murphy wrote:

or "rear of petals", if that were more useful.

6 new photos including front & read of petals, and what I can get of
the leaves.

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Any ideas?

Am pretty sure its Prunes Persia 'Prince Charming' small upright double red
form

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie PridhamAm pretty sure its Prunes Persia 'Prince Charming' small upright double red
form

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
[url
Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 AM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Am pretty sure its Prunes Persia 'Prince Charming' small upright double red
form

Prunes?! Or Prunus ....? Persia 'Prince Charming' is a dianthus.
Persica 'Prince Charming' you mean? I'm confused ...

Old 03-05-2006, 12:25 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
CL

La Puce wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Am pretty sure its Prunes Persia 'Prince Charming' small upright double red
form

Prunes?! Or Prunus ....? Persia 'Prince Charming' is a dianthus.
Persica 'Prince Charming' you mean? I'm confused ...

I'm trying to imagine this conversation at the local ten minutes before
closing ...

CL

Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Declan Murphy

CL wrote:
La Puce wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Am pretty sure its Prunes Persia 'Prince Charming' small upright double red
form

Prunes?! Or Prunus ....? Persia 'Prince Charming' is a dianthus.
Persica 'Prince Charming' you mean? I'm confused ...

I'm trying to imagine this conversation at the local ten minutes before
closing ...

CL

You mean as a argument, or as a Guinness, a Bushmills, 2 Tequilas, and
a Prunes Persia Prince Charming small upright double red for the lady
please.... ?

Old 03-05-2006, 02:10 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Helen

A shot in the dark here..but given that it seems to be flowering before
the leaves, and the fact that the flowers are a bit like magnolia
stellata, could it be a variety of magnolia?? Maybe an obscure Japanese
variety? Whatever it is, it is very beautiful :-)

Old 03-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Declan Murphy wrote:
[...]

some of the plant descriptions are very hard to follow as it is without
needing any deceit.
A typical description goes something like: sort of greenish leaves,
pointy at one end
and low growing with sort of brownish stems.

Then on further probing about say the flower, you get told, ahhh yes
the flower is 2 metres high and bright blue and yellow and smells like
rotting flesh.

I like trying to guess plant names as it is like a quiz but I have only
managed to get a few right over the past few months. Declan's tree is
eyecatching alright and I have absolutely no idea what it is. They
have lots of nice flowering shrubs and trees there.