Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Default Bare-legged hebe

I have a hebe ( I think its a hebe) in a container. I love the plant,
but all the new growth appears at the end of the stems and I can now
see long bare legs under the green skirt - not the greatest look on a
hebe. I assume it needs pruning to get growth appearing lower down, but
haven't ever done so because I'm not sure how, how much to take off, at
what point etc. I'd like to try and do something. Your advice would be
appreciated.

Picture available he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27556987@N00/138218077/

Is it a hebe?

Many thanks.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a hebe ( I think its a hebe) in a container. I love the plant,
but all the new growth appears at the end of the stems and I can now
see long bare legs under the green skirt - not the greatest look on a
hebe. I assume it needs pruning to get growth appearing lower down, but
haven't ever done so because I'm not sure how, how much to take off, at
what point etc. I'd like to try and do something. Your advice would be
appreciated.

Picture available he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27556987@N00/138218077/

Is it a hebe?
Many thanks.

Yes its a hebe :~)
http://www.humeseeds.com/efhebe.htm

AlanT says this:
Hebe
Hebes, such as Hebe speciosa, H. macrantha and H. salicifolia, can be
damaged by cold winds and low temperatures in winter. Although they require
little routine pruning, it is worth removing any dead or frost-damaged
growth in April. Well-established shrubs that are outgrowing their allotted
space can be reduced in size by cutting back overly long stems to a new
sideshoot lower down. Large-leaved hebes grown for their flowers, such as
'Autumn Beauty', 'Midsummer Beauty', 'Great Orme' and 'Marjorie' can be kept
neat and flowering well by pruning now. Cut back all stems to within 15cm
(6in) of ground level every other year or, if this is too drastic for you,
and on older plants which may not take kindly to such hard pruning, cut back
one-in-three stems starting with the oldest. Variegated hebes that produce
all-green reverted shoots, should have these pruned out completely.

HTH Jenny

Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a hebe ( I think its a hebe) in a container. I love the plant,
but all the new growth appears at the end of the stems and I can now
see long bare legs under the green skirt - not the greatest look on a
hebe. I assume it needs pruning to get growth appearing lower down, but
haven't ever done so because I'm not sure how, how much to take off, at
what point etc. I'd like to try and do something. Your advice would be
appreciated.

Picture available he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27556987@N00/138218077/

Is it a hebe?
Many thanks.

Found this later.......
http://www.uktvstyle.co.uk/index.cfm.../aid/729.shtml
Youv'e made me think I'll takle mine!
Jenny

Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Thanks Jenny. Going by what Alan T says, does that mean that the brown
bits at the bottom of the hebe is actually frost damaged growth? I'm
still a little nervous about how much I should cut down given so much
of it is damaged (but it is just past April now so I guess now is the
time to do it). How much would you suggest I take off, looking at that
picture? Will this type recover from a chop back to 15cm above ground
level?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

I just spotted your second link., Thanks, really helpful.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Jenny. Going by what Alan T says, does that mean that the brown
bits at the bottom of the hebe is actually frost damaged growth? I'm
still a little nervous about how much I should cut down given so much
of it is damaged (but it is just past April now so I guess now is the
time to do it). How much would you suggest I take off, looking at that
picture? Will this type recover from a chop back to 15cm above ground
level?

Judging by the size of the plant, you have plenty of material
to work on, without totally spoiling the appearence if things
don't all work out as planned. One idea might be to just cut back
say 12 branches this year, from all around the plant. Four at the
base leaving around two inches, four by one third, and four by
two thirds. Maybe labelling the branches at the base as you go.
Then by this time next year, you should have a much better idea
of which is the most effective for your particular variey and
the best way to proceed.

michael adams

Old 01-05-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Jenny. Going by what Alan T says, does that mean that the brown
bits at the bottom of the hebe is actually frost damaged growth? I'm
still a little nervous about how much I should cut down given so much
of it is damaged (but it is just past April now so I guess now is the
time to do it). How much would you suggest I take off, looking at that
picture? Will this type recover from a chop back to 15cm above ground
level?

I don't know if its frost damage or just old age - I think the latter.
When in doubt, prune only half the shrub :~)
I tend to prune most things really hard. Stuff seems rto survive!
Jenny

Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Make cuttings with the prunings. that way you might end up with 30 plants
:~)
Jenny

Old 02-05-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Yes, I think I'll do that Jenny. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Someone questioned whether the hebe had outgrown the container...? If
it has, is there a way to prune roots (I think my mum used to do that
sometimes) so it could go back in. Or do you think the time has come to
set it free in the garden?

Finally, does this pruning approach work on lavender as well?

Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Yes, I think I'll do that Jenny. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Someone questioned whether the hebe had outgrown the container...? If
it has, is there a way to prune roots (I think my mum used to do that
sometimes) so it could go back in. Or do you think the time has come to
set it free in the garden?

Finally, does this pruning approach work on lavender as well? (By that
I mean pruning the branches bit, which the thread was about).

Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, I think I'll do that Jenny. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Someone questioned whether the hebe had outgrown the container...? If
it has, is there a way to prune roots (I think my mum used to do that
sometimes) so it could go back in. Or do you think the time has come to
set it free in the garden?

Set it free :-)

Finally, does this pruning approach work on lavender as well? (By that
I mean pruning the branches bit, which the thread was about).

Be careful with lavendar pruning. It won't regrow from bare stems.
Jenny

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
Four-legged friend or foe? Dog walking displaces native birds from natural areas John M. United Kingdom 16 18-10-2007 02:31 AM
Naughty Four-Legged Footprints Lead their way to Wag Hotels [email protected] Gardening 0 31-07-2007 10:26 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
Two legged garden pests sherwindu Gardening 19 27-08-2004 03:38 PM