Old 01-05-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Springtime

Default Rainwater Butts

Over the weekend I have set up three rainwater butts in an effort to ensure
that I help the current water shortage situation.
Amazingly one filled to overflowing (25 gallons) after last nights rain - so
I have linked an additional butt to it to take the overflow - perhaps I
should have bought a bigger one in the first place.
All this should help providing we have some rain during the summer.
SH

Old 01-05-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Springtime" wrote in message
Over the weekend I have set up three rainwater butts in an effort to
ensure that I help the current water shortage situation.
Amazingly one filled to overflowing (25 gallons) after last nights rain -
so I have linked an additional butt to it to take the overflow - perhaps I
should have bought a bigger one in the first place.
All this should help providing we have some rain during the summer.
SH

providing we have some rain ?? Have you not heard of Wimbledon? You'll need
dozens of water butts before the finals.

Steve

Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Gary" wrote in message
k...
On Mon, 1 May 2006 18:23:18 +0100, Springtime wrote
(in article ):

Over the weekend I have set up three rainwater butts in an effort to
ensure
that I help the current water shortage situation.
Amazingly one filled to overflowing (25 gallons) after last nights rain -
so
I have linked an additional butt to it to take the overflow - perhaps I
should have bought a bigger one in the first place.
All this should help providing we have some rain during the summer.
SH

During a hosepipe ban though, you still can't connect a hose to one, IIRC.

Yes you can.

I heard at the time that the relevant law is so sloppily written that just
about the only thing actually banned is watering your garden directly with a
hose attached to the main.

You can (AIUI) fill your pond/pool/watering cans etc with a hose attached to
the main, use a hose attached to a water butt for any purpose .. well, you
get the idea.

Not saying that is responsible, but I believe it to be legal.

--
Brian

Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

shazzbat wrote:
"Springtime" wrote in message
Over the weekend I have set up three rainwater butts in an effort to
ensure that I help the current water shortage situation.
Amazingly one filled to overflowing (25 gallons) after last nights rain -
so I have linked an additional butt to it to take the overflow - perhaps I
should have bought a bigger one in the first place.
All this should help providing we have some rain during the summer.
SH

providing we have some rain ?? Have you not heard of Wimbledon? You'll need
dozens of water butts before the finals.

Steve

I would love a HUGE rain butt, but they are so expensive.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Broadback" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Springtime" wrote in message
Over the weekend I have set up three rainwater butts in an effort to
ensure that I help the current water shortage situation.
Amazingly one filled to overflowing (25 gallons) after last nights
rain - so I have linked an additional butt to it to take the overflow -
perhaps I should have bought a bigger one in the first place.
All this should help providing we have some rain during the summer.
SH

providing we have some rain ?? Have you not heard of Wimbledon? You'll
need dozens of water butts before the finals.

Steve

I would love a HUGE rain butt, but they are so expensive.

No they're not, they're free. Loads of people are now having combi boilers
fitted, and depending on the exact system being used this in many cases
liberates the big cold water storage tank from the loft. Befriend your local
CORGI plumber. Keep your eye on the skips etc. They also come conveniently
with varous pipe fittings to link them to your preferred system. Go here and
you'll see what I've done with them on the allotment, amongst other things-

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/1454062

Last week I saw one on the grass verge as I was taking the wife to work, but
when I came back 10 mins later someone had beaten me to it. :-((

Steve