Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

Default Ants !

Dear All,

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine earth
and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of
them ?

Old 02-05-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"adm" writes:

| I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine earth
| and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of
| them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"adm" writes:

| I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
earth
| and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid
of
| them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Or buy a small anteater.

No gardener should be afraid of a little aardvark.
--
Brian

Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "adm" writes:
| |
| | I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
| earth
| | and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid
| of
| | them ?
|
| Concrete over the lawn.
|
| Or buy a small anteater.
|
| No gardener should be afraid of a little aardvark.

Very true. Though that might be a gnu idea to anyone who thought that
television programs were an accurate reflection.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Nick Maclaren wrote:
"adm" writes:

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very
fine earth and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can
be done to get rid of them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Or buy a small anteater.

No gardener should be afraid of a little aardvark.

Very true. Though that might be a gnu idea to anyone who thought that
television programs were an accurate reflection.

Termite be some truth in that, workers just have to soldier on.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
"adm" writes:

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very
fine earth and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can
be done to get rid of them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Or buy a small anteater.

No gardener should be afraid of a little aardvark.

genius!

Very true. Though that might be a gnu idea to anyone who thought that
television programs were an accurate reflection.

Termite be some truth in that, workers just have to soldier on.

And I hear formica is coming back in fashion so you could be the envy
of the neighbourhood!

Old 03-05-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"adm" writes:

| I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
earth
| and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get

rid
of
| them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Or buy a small anteater.

No gardener should be afraid of a little aardvark.
--
Brian

Akidna like your style there ( Jimmy )

michael adams

Old 03-05-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine earth
and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of
them ?

When I was a kid we used to pour boiling water over them. Whether it
actually works or not I don't know.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"adm" writes:

| I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
earth
| and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid
of
| them ?

Concrete over the lawn.

Hmmmm......(thinks)..........

No. Although Astroturf might work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

wrote in message
oups.com...

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
earth
and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of
them ?

When I was a kid we used to pour boiling water over them. Whether it
actually works or not I don't know.

Oh well - it's worth a go I suppose.

I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience of suing chemicals or
nematodes for example....

Old 03-05-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

advice from the RHS

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0701/ants.asp

Old 03-05-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"adm" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine
earth
and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid
of
them ?

When I was a kid we used to pour boiling water over them. Whether it
actually works or not I don't know.

Oh well - it's worth a go I suppose.

I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience of suing chemicals or
nematodes for example....

I am told that suing sodium tetraborate (borax) the main ingredient of
Nippon is effective. I do not know whether it's the boron that kills em or
the fact that the stuff is alkaline.
Either way do not try *suing* the chemical company if it does not work.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"adm" wrote in message

I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience of suing chemicals or
nematodes for example....

Chemical companies are more likely to retain employ lawyers than nematodes
do.

--
Brian

Old 03-05-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

"adm" wrote in message

I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience of suing
chemicals or
nematodes for example....

Chemical companies are more likely to retain employ lawyers than nematodes
do.

I've known a couple of slugs who were also fully qualified lawyers.

Janet
Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Taz

At the risk of sounding useful... I've bought slug nematodes from the
link below and they worked fine, so it might be worth a try with ants.
Though a boiling kettle is more fun.

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/repel.htm

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM