Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Pressure from water butt

I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and 1/3
full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a water
meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water streaming
out!
--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , Broadback writes:
| I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
| minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
| you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and 1/3
| full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a water
| meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water streaming
| out!

1 bar is approximately one atmosphere is approximately 14 psi is
approximately 30 feet head of water. 0.06 bar. Forget it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Halmyre

Broadback wrote:
I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and 1/3
full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a water
meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water streaming
out!

Pressure at the outlet of the barrel is purely due to the height of
water above the outlet. You'd need a column of water about 33 feet high
to generate 1 bar of pressure.

--
Halmyre

ceci, n'est pas un signature
Old 03-05-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Broadback writes:
| I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
| minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
| you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and 1/3
| full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a water
| meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water streaming
| out!

1 bar is approximately one atmosphere is approximately 14 psi is
approximately 30 feet head of water. 0.06 bar. Forget it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

But you could try it anyway, seeing as you have it. It might be enough
to dribble out.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Halmyre wrote:
Broadback wrote:
I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and
1/3 full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a
water meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water
streaming out!

Pressure at the outlet of the barrel is purely due to the height of
water above the outlet. You'd need a column of water about 33 feet high
to generate 1 bar of pressure.

Thanks folk, I guess as a drip, I'd better just let it drip. ;-)

Old 03-05-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Halmyre wrote:
You'd need a column of water about 33 feet high
to generate 1 bar of pressure.

Mais oui. But you /could/ do that by having the water butt at the top
of a 33 foot tower...

I'll get by coat.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , Broadback
wrote:

I have a Gardena Water computer, the instructions say it works with a
minimum dynamic operating pressure of 1 bar. What sort of pressure do
you get from a water butt, say mounted a foot above ground level and 1/3
full? It would be nice to use it while away, as I am now on a water
meter I can just see a problem occurring while away and water streaming
out!

You'll need a submersible water butt pump to make it work (about £40).

Water Butt Pressure box Gardening 6 25-05-2014 02:29 PM
Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 11:00 AM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water Butt Repair? Drakanthus United Kingdom 7 07-05-2003 01:44 AM
Algae in water butt Mary Fisher United Kingdom 11 25-03-2003 05:56 AM