Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 PM
JimM

Default Compost turning green

A couple of weeks ago I transplanted my seedlings into cell trays and put
them into a heated greenhouse. I've noticed though that some of the seed
compost they are in is developing a green surface, I don't know if it's
algae, moss or fungus. Is this something I should be worried about and if so
what should I do about it.

Thanks

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

I had the same problem its probably because your bag of potting compost has
been open and hanging around
I scraped it off and repoted the seedlings in fresh compost

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
david

I have the same thing with a lot of the compost I have used on the Dahlia
tubers, it's the precursor to Moss, starts like a green algae, then it will
start to grow into moss.
I don't know why it is so predominant this year, same compost I have used
for a few years, and the conditions are the same.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
david

its probably because your bag of potting compost has
been open and hanging around.........

Sorry but as I am using around 8 to 10 bags a day I doubt if this is the
cause.. well not in my case

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 01-05-2003, 12:08 PM

Have found the same with my Basil and Pepper seedlings in my
greenhouse. I used multi-purpose compost but have subsequently read
that indoor and greenhouse potting should be with a sterilised
compost. I'm sure a bit of algae won't do them too much harm and will
disappear when they are moved outside.