Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Help - overgrown flower bed

One of our flower beds is a complete mess!!

Our garden was originally a field/paddock and we always have problems with
grass coming through in the beds but this particular bed has (IMO) got out
of hand. There are a lot of hardy geraniums in the bed and the grass comes
up through the centre and is impossible to dig out. In addition, in about
half the bed, the soil is rock hard (probably clay) and impossible to dig.

My thoughts are to start from scratch with at least half of the bed - i.e.
spray everything 2 or 3 times over the summer, then when everything has
(hopefully) died down rotavate the bed with a Mantis and leave bare over
winter with a view to starting afresh next year.

Am I doing the right rhing???

Jeanne

Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

you could try the no dig method or raised beds etc

I think with no dig you can cover with black plastic and then
manure/compost and plant potatoes and then while everything is being
killed off under the black plastic you are growing potatoes on top.
You'll then need something to earth them up as they grow such as straw
, grass cutting , more manure or compost etc
Just google for no dig

Old 11-05-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote
One of our flower beds is a complete mess!!

Our garden was originally a field/paddock and we always have problems with
grass coming through in the beds but this particular bed has (IMO) got out
of hand. There are a lot of hardy geraniums in the bed and the grass comes
up through the centre and is impossible to dig out. In addition, in about
half the bed, the soil is rock hard (probably clay) and impossible to dig.

My thoughts are to start from scratch with at least half of the bed - i.e.
spray everything 2 or 3 times over the summer, then when everything has
(hopefully) died down rotavate the bed with a Mantis and leave bare over
winter with a view to starting afresh next year.

Am I doing the right rhing???

It's what the Savill Garden are doing with their beds due to the dreaded
Bindweed so yes you are doing it right. There are other things you could try
but none will be so effective.
How about taking some offshoots of the Geraniums, after a thorough search
for grass roots, to pot up to replant when you have got rid of the grass
etc.
If it's Couch grass be careful it won't just come in again from your grass
area, we fought a constant battle against it's encroachment on our old
allotment because of grass roadways/paths.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
One of our flower beds is a complete mess!!

Our garden was originally a field/paddock and we always have problems
with grass coming through in the beds but this particular bed has
(IMO) got out of hand. There are a lot of hardy geraniums in the bed
and the grass comes up through the centre and is impossible to dig
out. In addition, in about half the bed, the soil is rock hard
(probably clay) and impossible to dig.

It depends on how big the bed is and how happy you are with what's in it
just now.

I've got a bed at my back fence that gets grass and creeping buttercup
growing through from the area behind. The bed isn't huge and I can keep it
under control using a hand grubber. Lets me get down deep to the roots,
whilst not disturbing the plants too much.

You could always lift some of the geraniums if you want to save them.

If you do start afresh what are you planning on doing with it, especially
the bit you say you can't dig?
--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

ok dokey , apologies so what did I have wrong ?

Old 13-05-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Janet,

Many thanks to clear up my misunderstanding , as ever I find this a
fantastic place to improve my horticultoral knowledge from more
experienced people such as yourself