Old 12-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Recommend a honeysuckle for me please.

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any recommendations on a honeysuckle please.

The criteria is...

Fragranced, rampant grower, ok with mostly shade (will get some sun in
the morning and in the evening). A wild life attractant and preferably
flower laden. Colour doesn't matter. Needs to grow up a six foot
fence and through a medium size tree which is close to the fence.

I thought maybe one of the wild woodland honeysuckles would be good but
don't know if it fits the above criteria or if I can get it in a garden
centre?

I know, I don't want or expect much do I? :-)

Any ideas or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Gail

Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any recommendations on a honeysuckle please.

The criteria is...

Fragranced, rampant grower, ok with mostly shade (will get some sun in
the morning and in the evening). A wild life attractant and preferably
flower laden. Colour doesn't matter. Needs to grow up a six foot
fence and through a medium size tree which is close to the fence.

I thought maybe one of the wild woodland honeysuckles would be good but
don't know if it fits the above criteria or if I can get it in a garden
centre?

It does fit your criteria, and it's so common and easy to propagate
don't pay money for one. I used to select heavy-flowering, highly
scented, good -colour ones from local hedgerows to plant in my own. An
established plant will usually have plenty of layered, rooted stems
close by.

"Attracting wildlife"..they do (nectar and berries) and this
invariably includes plenty of aphids and tiny black flies.

Wild honeysuckle flower more prolifically in full sun. That's why in
shrubby woodland, you'll often see flowerless stems disappearing into
the hazel canopy and flowering above it, out of sight.

Janet

Thanks Janet,

I will go hunting for one. I imagine anytime now will be good if i can
manage to identify it without flowers? Do I just dig up a root and put
it in a pot to start with?

Gail