Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-05-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Default Some hay questions

snip
I found some free hay bales today that were to be throw out so I grabbed
them to use as mulch when the growing season comes around. The bales are
standard pasture hay, grasses and whatever else was growing at the time of
cutting. I have no idea how old they are, no one could tell me. A couple

I wouldn't use hay as a mulch - it is, by definition, full of grass seeds,
as it is used as an animal feed. I would use straw which should (largely) be
seed free - it has no nutrition value for animals but rots down to a fine
mulch / soil conditioner.

Chris S

I was just about to say the same as Chris, dont use it as a mulch on the
garden just put it a corner and let it rot. In the winter we use poor
hay in muddy gateways and the grass seeds germinate in the Spring.
kate

Mulch hay Kathy Edible Gardening 6 02-03-2005 03:14 AM
hay mulch Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 6 25-05-2003 12:32 PM
using old hay for mulch ? Stephen Birchall United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 06:09 PM